Fluorescent Lights

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well I still have a hood that came with my tank and I put some incadescent bulbs in there. Is it possible to replace them with Fluorescent bulbs? or do i just need to buy another hood?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since the end connections are different I think you have to buy a different hood.
Carol

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can get a compact mini fluorescent bulb. They are fluorescent bulbs that screw into a regular light socket. I have a couple in my 15 gallon and they work and look awesome. They should have them at most fish stores. I have the same one as in the link, plus another 18W with a bluish tint.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They also sell them at wal-mart in the fish section also. I don't lilke the type sick-lid boy has in the link because it gives off a purple glow but that's just my opinion, there's nothing wrong with them, it's just not my type of lilght. They also sell a more white type of light from the same company if you don't like that type.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah i want a white colored bulb...cause the incadescent bulbs give off that kitchen light kind of look...so i just want something more white...

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe all glass aquarium makes one, along with coralife like sick lid boy said that most lfs's sell, don't get the 50/50 bubls, wrong spectrum and will promote algae. If you can't find one at a lfs, try wal-mart in the fish section they sell them.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh cool are they cheaper at wal-mart?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, but I don't know if they last as long, htough they worked fine for me, only a couple dollars cheaper.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those also get very hot so be careful
Carol

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
so does that mean it will make the water evaporate faster?

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh and another thing... i just bought 2 10 watt fluorescent bulbs at targe for like $3.00 and i placed them on the incadescent hood. They were bright! I dont think my fish liked them because they soon started hiding under thing and as soon as i fed them they wouldnt eat right now...so i just had to change the bulbs back and then they slowly started eating. Are there other fluorescent bulbs out there that arent that intense?

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, i've seen your tank, it looks good with incandescent light!!! don't replace it with flourescent light.
i think incandescent lights give your aquarium nice an better tropical look than flourescent lights!!!!

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
lol that was actually with the flurorescent bulbs...it just came off a little less intense on the camera. i'll probably post some pics with the incadescent lights to show a comparison

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What type of bulbs did you buy from Target, if they were not designed for the aquarium then that might be why. I'm sure the fluoerscent light's won't be too bright if there meant for fish since I've used them.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well they're General Electric Bulbs and on the top it says for General Purpose. It says that they equal to about 40 watts though.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That could be why, do you know the kelvin of them also, should look like K 6,700 on it. I would just go for the one's at walmart or at your lfs that sick lid boy recommended.

tb19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
no it doesnt say the kelvin of it... but yeah i think i would probably go to wal-mart instead

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
sick-lid boy said:
You can get a compact mini fluorescent bulb. They are fluorescent bulbs that screw into a regular light socket. I have a couple in my 15 gallon and they work and look awesome. They should have them at most fish stores. I have the same one as in the link, plus another 18W with a bluish tint.
Compact Flourescent are fine...Just make sure they have an all weather ballast or you can get some SHOCKING results and/or a short lamp life.....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom