Fluffy white stuff on mollies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Its mostly on the eyes and mouth of one of my mollies. She looks like she is about to die at any moment. She was no where near looking like this yesterday!

The other black molly has it on her eye and body but just not as bad. She didn't have it yesterday.

White molly has something on her tummy area that looks like its a bump. Looks a bit off colored yellow.

Dalmation molly is getting it on her tail and the other dalmation is hiding and resting on the bottom and seems like she is going insane.

To top it all off I have 5 day old fry. I thought it was ich at first but can it really infect this fast? Its fluffy and large, doesn't really look like the little white spots that are ich.

I fear everyone is going to die!!!

Attachments

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the white cysts look more like ich to me, especially the small specs in the second picture. If all you have in the tank right now is mollies I would add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon to make your water less hospitable to any ich tomites and it would also help if it turns out to be fungus. I personally would also treat with a malachite green/formalin medication because of how quickly this has sprung up and how severe it looks to be. Malachite would be the last measure I would use however, because it is very toxic. If you do use it dose for 5 gallons less than your tanks capacity. Malachite will treat both ich and fungus

OP
ladygodiva35

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a pleco in there too. So not sure about the salt. Does it have to be aquarium salt? I'm going to the pet store first thing tomorrow and also taking one of the infected fish to see what their opinion is.

I can't believe how severe its become in such a short amount of time! The black molly who has it the worse wants to eat but can't seem too. I crushed up some food so hope that helps her.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It does have to be aquarium salt. All plecos I am aware of are too big for a 10 gallon tank, really with mollies in there already, adding a pleco will definitely overstock the tank which will lead to poor water quality and diseases that can spring up very quickly. What are you water parameters at right now? Remember that pristine water quality is crucial when treating sick fish.

As for taking the fish to the pet store, I think that would be very hard on a fish that is already not doing well, I must say that I am not even sure if he will survive long after being transported in the shape he is currently in. Also I am fairly certain that all the pet store will do is take a glance at him and try to sell you on some expensive meds that may not even be the right kind. Unless you know the staff at this pet store pretty well and they are well known for being very responsible for their fish, I would not recommend taking their advice, and even if they are knowledgeable, I would not recommend putting your fish through the stress of transporting him in a little bag.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With a Pleco in the tank I would skip the salt, they don't tolerate it too well. It is hard to say what the problem might be since you describe a number of symptoms. I would say it would be best to cover several bases. Raise the temperature in the tank to about 85 degrees and keep it there for at least 2 weeks. Do gravel vacs at least twice a week so that if it is ICH you can remove any spores that fall into the gravel. You can also treat with a combination of Melafix and Pimafix during this time as they are designed to be safely used together. Bacterial infections can occasionally lead to fungal infections and fungal infections can sometimes lead to bacterial infections so using both will cover both. I agree that it would probably do more harm than good to try to transport your fish to the store. You will also want to test your water parameters and make sure that you have no ammonia or nitrite in your tank. If you are showing levels of either than you will need to do daily water changes to cycle your tank. The fresh water may actually be enough to help your fish if the problem is water quality.

Once you are over this ordeal I would recommend looking into a larger tank. As mentioned, with mollies and a pleco your 10 gallon is overstocked which will make maintaining a cycle extremely difficult. If possible look into something along the lines of a 29 gallon or so. Keep in mind, if your mollies keep breeding (which they will if you have a mixed sex tank) you will need a plan for what to do with the fry. The adult fish may eat some of them, but not necessarily all of them and you could wind up crazily overstocked no matter what size tank you upgrade to.

OP
ladygodiva35

ladygodiva35

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone. I don't have any males in the tank so thats a relief. The females came already pregnant!

I will for sure look into a bigger tank once this mess is taken care of. I'm getting a bunch of fish stuff asap. Two fry have already passed away. Why is it always past closing time when you need a store?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom