Help Fluffy, white spots on new fish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1st, u may wunna skim over this. it may help some....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-id-help/70326-im-fish-stitting-but-what-they.html

now, on to the questions! i have found a white spot on the base of my Rainbow Sharks tail and on my Rasbora tail (who also has a very shredded tail from this, and had been separated) i didnt notice it untill a few minutes ago when i moved them into the 20 gallon becuse the 10 gallon was still cloudly and its hard to see white in green water... any way, it doesnt seem to be bothering them, other than the fact that they wont eat. they arent being spazzy, or lazy, or itching on anything.

i first noticed this on one of the cuban ditch fish that i took out of the tank and kept in a betta cup (with daily water changes) so i could learn a bit about their behavior. he developed the white fuzzy patch with some longer stringy things that were sort of ivroy in color. (he died either last night or this morning, i dont remember). he lasted a few days like this but got very depressed and sat at the bottom and didnt eat. durring water changes, he wouldnt even run away from the turkey baster and was accidentally sucked up a few times. (the others are now seperate, also, tho they arent showing any signs of it yet, and cant get enough of their new tropical flakes)

so far, the Gourami, seem ok. She's been hiding in the log all day, tho, not even coming out for air (tho there was air stuck inside the log. i did see her be lazy a few times and gulp some it, but not from the surface. i also dont know anything about Gouramis, other than they are simular to bettas) the catfish also seems to be avoiding it, and has been chillin' in his log, and venturing out when the lights go out.

i have switched the guppies from the 20g to the 10, and these guys to the 20g and both tanks were dosed with WST, and i will put the carbon filters back in before i go to bed. i already use 1/2 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water, and i treat any bit of tap water that gets into my tank

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Akari,

Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH please. It will be a great help.

I would recommend that you stop using salt. Salt can cause an excess of body slime and cause irritation to your fish.

It's not a good idea to house any fish in a cup simply to learn about their behavior. You'll learn more about their behavior by having them in the community tank. Being in homes that are too small for the fish can lead to stress, disease and even death. Sorry to read that you lost one of your ditch fish.

Don't over feed your fish

As for the white spots, it may be some type of fungus. If the fish have ICH then they will look like they've been sprinkled with salt. If you can post photos too that will help a lot.

Best wishes!
Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
just to add, the smaller amount of water that you keep a fish in, the faster the water parameters can go way out of wack. one tiny fish would take forever to pollute a 100gallon tank, but only possibly a few minutes to foul up a cup of water. They excrete ammonia also so there's really no way to visually tell if the water needs to be changed, apart from just constantly changing and/or testing the water.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Akari,

Can you post your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH please. It will be a great help.

I would recommend that you stop using salt. Salt can cause an excess of body slime and cause irritation to your fish.

It's not a good idea to house any fish in a cup simply to learn about their behavior. You'll learn more about their behavior by having them in the community tank. Being in homes that are too small for the fish can lead to stress, disease and even death. Sorry to read that you lost one of your ditch fish.

Don't over feed your fish

As for the white spots, it may be some type of fungus. If the fish have ICH then they will look like they've been sprinkled with salt. If you can post photos too that will help a lot.

Best wishes!
Ken
unfortunatly, i dont have a test kit (tho i did look at some and the cheapest "all-in-one" tester was $15, which i cant afford, and i was already spending money on something else), but i do regular water changes (every other week, about 30-50% depending on if they had frozen foods or not) on all my tanks (tho i would rather do weekly, but u kno how parents are. i got **** for moving the gourami, catfish, rainbow shark and ditch fish from the 10 gallon to the 20 gallon and the guppies in to the 10 gallon! i mean, SERIOUSLY!? D-=< )

i will try to get some pictures up, but the albino rainbow shark is very pale and the spot kinda blends in, which it think is also why i didnt see it right away, and the rasbora is very shy and doesnt like people, so im not sure how it will work out.

and dont worry, i wont over feed them. they dont really wunna eat right now, but will come up and check it out if i drop some food in an walk away.

also, why is salt bad? i was told to use it to help control/prevent disease, but this was told to me by a pet store employee, so i could be wrong...

EDIT~ i tried to get a few pix, but they arent cooperating. i'll see if i can find a pic floating around the internet...

RE-EDIT~ with all the pictures out there, i found ones of spots on humans, assorted cats and dogs, as well as fish statues, but none of what im looking for.... altho, if u look up Fngus Cure by API, its the 1st pic, but its a round patch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.4%

Top Bottom