Fluffy lion fish?

ElectricBlueCrawfish1
I'm converting a 30 gallon fresh to saltwater, I have a good filter on the back, no protein skimmer YET. I would like to do 1 or 2 if possible fluffy lion fish, my question is what kind of substrate do they need? Would just love sand work? I'm looking for something money efficient because I only got a job about a week ago.

e_watson09
Any kind of substrate is fine for them. I prefer a chunkier sand just so its easier for me to clean with a gravel vac but its really preference.

ChrissFishes01
A chunkier sand (or even crushed coral) will make for a better substrate for a lot of predators. Or bare bottom, if you're okay with that look.

When you're feeding all that meat into the tank (preferably not live foods, due to the fact that they provide little nutrition), you end up with a ton of waste. Making sure you can see the waste, and easily suck it out without lifting a bunch of substrate is pretty important.

I'd definitely only do one, by the way. I'm not sure on the specifics of how they interact with each other, but generally keeping two saltwater fish of the same species in a small tank is kinda risky, even with clownfish - they live in pairs, but in a small tank where the male can't get away, the female can tend to be quite a bit more aggressive. Plus, the bioload of the one guy will already be a lot on the tank to handle. I had a Fu Manchu Lionfish in a 10 gallon QT and had to do a 5 gallon WC a day - I had a skimmer running, two well-cycled sponge filters, and I still had nitrates through the roof. And that was only for a few weeks.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1
Wow, ok thanks. So I'll probably do crushed coral. Thanks so much y'all!

saltwater60
Most places say 50 gallons for one so not sure it’s the best fish for a 30 gallon tank. They get 7” so keep that in mind.
I’d do sand since the food particle kind of sit on top and you can suck the food scraps off the top.

Top Bottom