Fluctuating temperature in Betta tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbean

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm getting different temperatures readings from various places in the tank. One place reads 25c another reads 28c another reads 27c..

The strange thing is its coldest (25c) where the actual heater is.

My cold water tank is reading 23c everywhere I aim the beam (it's a laser one).

Very confusing! It's stressing me out so much I'm actually thinking of returning the Betta.

I'll get a different thermometer at Pets At Home tomorrow in case mine is buggered.

Is this different temperatures at different parts of the tank normal or what??

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Marina & Superfish do mini heaters though they're preset so you can't adjust the temperature, might be worth a look.

OP
oldbean

oldbean

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would definitely get an in-tank thermometer to double check the temperature. You're right, those readings don't make sense!
Exactly what I thought mate! I'll be picking one up tomorrow when I go to Pets At Home.

Marina & Superfish do mini heaters though they're preset so you can't adjust the temperature, might be worth a look.
I've got a Nano STAT 10 Watt by Interpet in there. It's got awesome reviews on Amazon and was actually recommend by a valued member here. It's preset to 25c and meant to go off when the water hits that temp. But doesn't.

Still on.

Water temp according to my digital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is there any chance the heater is under warranty? It sounds like you may have been sold a defective product.

What's the volume of his tank?

aaron0g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is there a pump in the tank? If there is no flow there will be issues both with heater and different temps across tank, if there is a pump is there any other source of heat such as a window allowing sunlight?

OP
oldbean

oldbean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is there a pump in the tank? If there is no flow there will be issues both with heater and different temps across tank, if there is a pump is there any other source of heat such as a window allowing sunlight?
I live in Wales we have no sunlight only ridiculously muggy days.

There is a flow but it's very gentle because my Betta hates currents, they make him ill.

I could put a gentle air stone under the heater, but too much surface movement and he's very depressed.

Even if this was the case it should still be switching off, the temp around the heater was 28c and it was still on!

aaron0g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I belive the laser temp sensor you are using is an infared sensor with a laser pointer and I think it will try and read a temp from the surface or glass and not penetrate. If there is some flow that should keep the tank temp even, I have a large tank 5' long and the heater is at one end and all the tank is the same temp, is the room temp below or similar to the tank temp, in a tank that small it can easily be effected by lights indirect light from windows (even with no sun) and even pumps generate some heat. Would suggest a digital tank thermometer with a lead to the sensor and check in the water.

OP
oldbean

oldbean

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'll be getting an underwater thermometer today. I'll let you guys know what the readings are.

Thanks all!

OP
oldbean

oldbean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Got an underwater thermometer today from PAH, cost £2.50 for a Marina one.

Put it in and the water is reading 27c. Heater still on so its definitely faulty.

Amazon are sending out a new one, as soon as it comes I'll switch it over.

aaron0g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just wondering have you moved it to see if it is the same around the tank? Or if it was the remote temp gauge giving funny readings

OP
oldbean

oldbean

Valued Member
Reaction score
Same temp all around the tank from what I can tell. The other one must have been unsuitable for water readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 3 21.4%

Top Bottom