Flowrates: how important are they?

Fishyfishyfishman

I want to get an L471 pleco but its tankmate would be a longfinned betta. I have heard that these plecos like moderate-high flow water but because of my betta I wouldn't be able to do super high flow. However I have heard the same for bristlenose plecos but I have heard about keeping them with a sponge filter. I could definetly set some parts of the tank to high flow but the rest would have to be low flow. Would that work to keep the pleco happy? I really like the fish and really want one but will not get it if I cannot give it a good home in my tank, Thanks in advance and sorry for my terrible posting skills.

Frank the Fish guy

Yes, you can definitely be creative with the flow so that you have part of the tank with good flow and lower flow in others. Your pleco will find the high flow water to hang out in. Aim the flow at something he can grab onto like a piece of wood or some rocks. Give him large pebbles the size of his mouth to hang on to.
There are little flow generators, power heads, or you can just direct the output of your filter right at some rocks.

Like in a river where you can have a high flow stream that flows into a calm pool.

Fishyfishyfishman

I currently have an aquaclear 30 blasting right onto a piece of driftwood. I can turn the flow on it. I could also give him some larger pebbles as well. So I could put him in a relatively low flow tank? I also won't be able to add a powerhead or flow generator because I am a money tight teen and the pleco is rather expensive.

Frank the Fish guy

Just make sure the drift wood and pebbles have good flow from your filter and he will find that spot. Fast moving water is also high in oxygen which he likes. So you can add a vigorous air stone and air pump too without much expense.

It is more the high oxygen that they need than just the flow itself.

Blacksheep1

What’s the tank temp ?

Motherlovebetta

I have plecos in all of my tanks with multiple gourami which like your betta have a labyrinth organ and like slow flowing water…..I have done exactly what you are describing. I have HOBs in my tanks and have driftwood and/or rock below the filter output and they are fine. Good luck with the L471 I have been on the lookout for my 20g high that will likely soon have a betta in it!

Fishyfishyfishman

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
CHJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
BlackTiger