FlowerHorn

Nitro Junkie

Member
Here is my most recent purchase. A 4 inch FlowerHorn. This is my first post here,and it seems like people either love or hate hybrids, so if this forum has members that do not like hybrids,I have lots of other tanks,with lots of other fish,and I'll post more pics later. Hope you guys like him,I know I do. He is really showing some potential.If ya click on the pick to enlarge it,it shows him off much better.
 

Jrobber

Member
Whoa, that is one crazy looking fish! Almost scary with those red eyes. Cool fish though.
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Member
Welcome to FishLore!!
That's one funky looking fish. lol
I really haven't given much thought to hybrids.
Although not very active, we have a section of the forum dedicated to them
 

Treefork

Member
I'm personally not a fan of the hybrids. Nice looking fish though.
 

bolivianbaby

Member
He is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing him with us!
 

pinksprklmonkey

Member
He is a nice looking fish. I looked at the flowerhorns for a short time when considering a cichlid tank... got was kinda turned off when I read so many post about flowerhorns wiping out entire tanks. Hope all goes well with your tanks!
 

btate617

Member
I am one of those that does not like them, however I will say that fish is off to a good start and you should do well with it. Good luck.


Brian
 

katwright

Member
He reminds of my parrot fishes! The eye and the goldfish body. You definitely grow to love them...
 

Furallicah

Member
I actually love hybrids....the possibilitys of them are basically endless! And your flowerhorn...wow...very nice coloring!
 

btate617

Member
Furallicah said:
I actually love hybrids....the possibilitys of them are basically endless! And your flowerhorn...wow...very nice coloring!

I don't want to start a debate in this guys thread, but the 30,000+ species of Freshwater fish are also endless.......
 

Treefork

Member
btate617 said:
I don't want to start a debate in this guys thread, but the 30,000+ species of Freshwater fish are also endless.......
+1 to that.
 

Meenu

Member
What's it a hybrid of? I'm not familiar with this fish.
 
  • Thread Starter

Nitro Junkie

Member
btate617 said:
I don't want to start a debate in this guys thread, but the 30,000+ species of Freshwater fish are also endless.......
I agree. But there is just something about FlowerHorns I like.This is my first one. To tell the truth,I'm not a fan of any other hybrids.
Meenu said:
What's it a hybrid of? I'm not familiar with this fish.
I'm not exactly sure. I know there is Trimac and I believe Midas in them. Other than that,I'm not sure what combination of what you need to get one.
 

Furallicah

Member
btate617 said:
I don't want to start a debate in this guys thread, but the 30,000+ species of Freshwater fish are also endless.......
Well yeah. But with hybrids really you have all of them plus each other....so it never ends.....now if I can only find myself some 30,000 tanks....hmmm Lol
 

harpua2002

Member
With active habitat destruction occurring in the natural homes of a large percentage of these 30,000 described Freshwater species, IMO it's easy to see why many would be in favor of preserving species and/or bloodlines as compared to the creation of manmade "designer" hybrid fish.

That said, the first cichlid I ever purchased was a blood parrot. I thought they looked cool and wasn't involved enough in the hobby to consider the ethical ramifications of manmade hybrids while natural species are wiped out at an alarming rate. I purchased the fish, and it is my responsibility to care for it throughout its lifespan. Would I purchase another manmade hybrid? No, I wouldn't. Will I condemn others for purchasing a manmade hybrid? Of course not.

To each his/her own.
 

Nutter

Member
Nice Flowerhorn.

For me I like some hybrids & don't like others. I don't mind ones where they hybridization doesn't effect the fishes health or it's sight, swimming motion etc, but I can't stand the ones that do effect those things. Like bubble eyed goldfish (celestials I think), every time I see one I feel so sorry for them.
 

Surya Kant Bansal

Member
very beautiful...nice...
 

pinksprklmonkey

Member
Nutter said:
Nice Flowerhorn.
I don't mind ones where they hybridization doesn't effect the fishes health or it's sight, swimming motion etc, but I can't stand the ones that do effect those things. Like bubble eyed goldfish (celestials I think), every time I see one I feel so sorry for them.
Me too. Makes me really sad.
 

JustinF

Member
Nice fish, did you breed him that way or did you buy him like that? I'm assuming you bought him that way, do you breed your own mix of fish?
 

dezdude

Member
What is the difference between a flowerhorn and other types of fish? I'm confused with this hybrid stuff. Are they just fish that people bred to look a certain way? In that case, aren't most pets that way? Take dogs for instance...

Again, I'm not quite sure what a hybrid is and what they are about. The fish store by me has a huge flowerhorn that I think is awesome.

Dont chew me out too much :]
 
  • Thread Starter

Nitro Junkie

Member
JustinF said:
Nice fish, did you breed him that way or did you buy him like that? I'm assuming you bought him that way, do you breed your own mix of fish?
I bought him. The only fish I have breed on purpose are guppies and convicts for feeders.
dezdude said:
What is the difference between a flowerhorn and other types of fish? I'm confused with this hybrid stuff. Are they just fish that people bred to look a certain way? In that case, aren't most pets that way? Take dogs for instance...

Again, I'm not quite sure what a hybrid is and what they are about. The fish store by me has a huge flowerhorn that I think is awesome.

Dont chew me out too much :]
I keep fish because I like them. I have kept them for years. I know how to keep them alive and healthy,that's about it,lol. Maybe there is someone here who can offer some a more accurate explanation to hybrids,but here is what I know.

You need to have more than one species of fish breed,and produce viable off spring.Then those offspring are considered a hybrid of the 2 parent fish. So hybrids are basically mutts. With flowerhorns,there are more than just 2 fish involved,there are at least 3,possibly 4(I'm not sure though). You start with 2 different fish.Then the offspring(hybrids) breed with another pure strain fish.Then those offspring(hybrids) breed with yet another pure strain,and that gives you a flowerhorn(hopefully). Once you have your flowerhorn,if you can get a male and female flowerhorn,they will produce other flowerhorns. But of their offspring,only a handful will be a descent looking fish.

Like I said,I'm no expert. But I think that is how it works.
 

Amanda

Member
My favorite fish.
He's gorgeous!
 

Nutter

Member
Nitro Junkie said:
You need to have more than one species of fish breed,and produce viable off spring.Then those offspring are considered a hybrid of the 2 parent fish. So hybrids are basically mutts. With flowerhorns,there are more than just 2 fish involved,there are at least 3,possibly 4(I'm not sure though). You start with 2 different fish.Then the offspring(hybrids) breed with another pure strain fish.Then those offspring(hybrids) breed with yet another pure strain,and that gives you a flowerhorn(hopefully). Once you have your flowerhorn,if you can get a male and female flowerhorn,they will produce other flowerhorns. But of their offspring,only a handful will be a descent looking fish.

Like I said,I'm no expert. But I think that is how it works.
Pretty good explanation. Fish are chosen for their physical or behaviour traits & then bread with other fish that have other desirable traits. Sometimes it is as simple as breeding two of the same species to try to achieve a certain colour or fin shape (common with guppies & bettas). Other times breeding fish are selected because they share a desirable trait, like long fins, the resulting fry should all have longer than normal fins. Subsequent generational breeding will enhance the long fins. Sometimes it takes many generations of breeding for the physical traits to develop to the 'desired' result. Unfortunately some breeders don't put much thought into how this breeding will effect the fishes ability to swim or it's long term health & it is common for deformed fish to be used in this breeding to achieve a strain of fish that shares that deformity. Like the Celestial Goldfish (bubble eyes).

That's about as far as my knowledge on hybrids goes.
 

Gamer

Member
Very nice sir! He looks like one bad dude!
 

tetralover77

Member
I personally don't like hybrids, but I have to say that is a nice fish
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom