FlowerHorn

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by Nitro Junkie, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Nitro JunkieValued MemberMember

Here is my most recent purchase. A 4 inch FlowerHorn. This is my first post here,and it seems like people either love or hate hybrids, so if this forum has members that do not like hybrids,I have lots of other tanks,with lots of other fish,and I'll post more pics later. Hope you guys like him,I know I do. He is really showing some potential.If ya click on the pick to enlarge it,it shows him off much better.

Attached Files:

2. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

Whoa, that is one crazy looking fish! Almost scary with those red eyes. Cool fish though.

3. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    That's one funky looking fish. lol
    I really haven't given much thought to hybrids.
    Although not very active, we have a section of the forum dedicated to them :)
    Hybrid Fish

4. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

I'm personally not a fan of the hybrids. Nice looking fish though.

5. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

He is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing him with us!

6. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

He is a nice looking fish. I looked at the flowerhorns for a short time when considering a cichlid tank... got was kinda turned off when I read so many post about flowerhorns wiping out entire tanks. Hope all goes well with your tanks!

7. btate617Well Known MemberMember

I am one of those that does not like them, however I will say that fish is off to a good start and you should do well with it. Good luck.

Brian

8. katwrightNew MemberMember

He reminds of my parrot fishes! The eye and the goldfish body. You definitely grow to love them...

9. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I actually love hybrids....the possibilitys of them are basically endless! And your flowerhorn...wow...very nice coloring!

10. btate617Well Known MemberMember

I don't want to start a debate in this guys thread, but the 30,000+ species of FW fish are also endless.......

11. TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

+1 to that. :)

12. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

What's it a hybrid of? I'm not familiar with this fish.

13. Nitro JunkieValued MemberMember

I agree. But there is just something about FlowerHorns I like.This is my first one. To tell the truth,I'm not a fan of any other hybrids.
    I'm not exactly sure. I know there is Trimac and I believe Midas in them. Other than that,I'm not sure what combination of what you need to get one.

14. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Well yeah. But with hybrids really you have all of them plus each other....so it never ends.....now if I can only find myself some 30,000 tanks....hmmm Lol

15. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

With active habitat destruction occurring in the natural homes of a large percentage of these 30,000 described FW species, IMO it's easy to see why many would be in favor of preserving species and/or bloodlines as compared to the creation of manmade "designer" hybrid fish.

That said, the first cichlid I ever purchased was a blood parrot. I thought they looked cool and wasn't involved enough in the hobby to consider the ethical ramifications of manmade hybrids while natural species are wiped out at an alarming rate. I purchased the fish, and it is my responsibility to care for it throughout its lifespan. Would I purchase another manmade hybrid? No, I wouldn't. Will I condemn others for purchasing a manmade hybrid? Of course not.

To each his/her own. ;)

16. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Nice Flowerhorn.

For me I like some hybrids & don't like others. I don't mind ones where they hybridization doesn't effect the fishes health or it's sight, swimming motion etc, but I can't stand the ones that do effect those things. Like bubble eyed goldfish (celestials I think), every time I see one I feel so sorry for them.

17. Surya Kant BansalNew MemberMember

very beautiful...nice...

18. pinksprklmonkeyValued MemberMember

Me too. Makes me really sad.

19. JustinFValued MemberMember

Nice fish, did you breed him that way or did you buy him like that? I'm assuming you bought him that way, do you breed your own mix of fish?

20. dezdudeValued MemberMember

What is the difference between a flowerhorn and other types of fish? I'm confused with this hybrid stuff. Are they just fish that people bred to look a certain way? In that case, aren't most pets that way? Take dogs for instance...

Again, I'm not quite sure what a hybrid is and what they are about. The fish store by me has a huge flowerhorn that i think is awesome.

Dont chew me out too much :]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice