Flowerhorn? Yes or no?

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Hey y'all, so I have a 60 gallonthat I'm emptying and I think I want to do a flowerhorn cichlid next. It's been on my list for a while and I have an opportunity to so why not. I'm going to get a canister filter for it and probably won't have anything in the tank, maybe substrate, maybe. I haven't really picked out what tip of flowerhorn I want but that will come later. The filter is a SunSun hw-302 3tage filter 264gps. I also want a non full spectrum light so I need suggestions for that too.

FinalFins

Flowerhorns need much bigger tanks than 60g, unfortunately. 100 gallons is usually the minumum size for these fish.

If you got a bigger tank and keep up with WC, I see no reason why not to get one.

aussieJJDude

What's the dimensions? I think for a single fish, a 60 gallonshould suffice providing its wide enough for the fish to comfortably turn around.

FinalFins

Good point. A long and wide enough tank can hold a flowerhorn.

A201

Think long & hard before buying a FH. I recently traded in a Red Texas FH. I made an impulse buy, and after 2 yrs. He had grown to 10" with no sign of slowing down. His 65 gal.home was beginning to look cramped. The FH had a full set of teeth & bit me numerous times during WC's. A little unnerving. Lol.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Ok, that's good cuzz my tank was a custom build that the guy I bought it from got. I'm not home right now so I don't have the dimensions, sorry.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

How big does a FH get?

GlennO

About a foot long. I wouldn't keep one in a tank less than 5' x 18".

mbkemp

I think a flower horn in a 60 is like living in a sleeping bag. It’s ok for a bit, til you have to poo.

Nikki2577

I think a 60 gallonis too small unless you get a short body FH or a female. 18” width is really important. If it’s 12” I wouldn’t even bother.

FinalFins

Females grow to the same length and just don't have the Kok.

Short body would be better.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

My tank is 36"L 18"D 21"T

FinalFins

36 inches long is too short. Only 3 feet compared to the estimated growth of 12
inches.

wouldnt do a short body FH either.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

O I forgot too by the way! I would get a baby and he'd only be in that tank for about a year, I'll turn 16 in a year or so and I was already planning on getting a 125, and I've been planning on getting a FH. So would it be fine in this tank for the time being?

Feohw

ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
O I forgot too by the way! I would get a baby and he'd only be in that tank for about a year, I'll turn 16 in a year or so and I was already planning on getting a 125, and I've been planning on getting a FH. So would it be fine in this tank for the time being?
I would wait till you get the other tank before getting him. You never know what may happen in a year. You may get him and no longer have the possibility of getting the bigger tank. Or you may forget until he's already cramped - if he gets that way. Better to have the appropriate tank and then get the fish imo.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Ok, ️

Momgoose56

ElectricBlueCrawfish1 said:
That would be fine. Consider it a 1 year grow out tank and find the bigger tank you'll want, start collecting the equipment you'll need for it i.e. a stand, a filter, media. Get the 60 well cycled and put plenty of transferable media in it and by the time he is 6" long you'll have your bigger tank.

FinalFins

I agree with Feohw. Anything could happen.

ElectricBlueCrawfish1

Ooo... The plot thickens! So are you (momgoose56) saying u think that having one for a little bit in 60 would be fine and collect the components I need for a bigger tank? I'm not discarding the rest of all a y'alls thoughts.

GlennO

I read that they can grow very fast, up to 2cm per month in their first year.

Momgoose56

GlennO said:
I read that they can grow very fast, up to 2cm per month in their first year.
Tha would be really unusually fast. A couple of varieties can get close to 8 inches in a year but even that is unusual.

FinalFins

8 inch FH is too big for a 60 gal IMO.

GlennO

Momgoose56 said:
Tha would be really unusually fast. A couple of varieties can get close to 8 inches in a year but even that is unusual.
Yep, it's just what I read, I have no personal experience with them. Pretty safe to say though that even if he gets a small 2.5" juvie it could outgrow a 36" tank very quickly.

Top Bottom