Flowerhorn White Spots On Head

1. f

floki5 New Member Member

What’s wrong with this fish???

Long story. I’ll try to make it as short as possible. Have a 55gal tank that had a single blood parot fish in it for many years (prob 8). The tank was poorly maintained but the levels never got bad but the ph was always low (low 6’s). Our daughter decided Sushi (yes that’s his name) needed a friend. I cleaned the tank thoroughly and did water changes over the course of about 2 months and got the ph stabilized to over 7 and all other levels were fine. After the water was stabil for a few weeks I decided it was safe to get another fish. We got this large flowerhorn due to the size of our blood parot. They didn’t get along so I put a divider between them in the tank. Fast forward a few weeks and these white spots start developing around his eyes and gills. I put ick medicine in thinking that was it. No luck. The spots grew. I went to the fish store and asked what they thought it was and they said fungus. At the same time I tested the water quality and the levels were crazy. Did an immediate water change and got them down a bit. (Also had an algae bloom in the meantime due to the nitrate spike) Got API fungus cure and did 2 treatments as directed. Pet store said to treat fungus before worrying about the levels. So today was the last day of the second treatment. I’m going to do a water change and put the charcoal back in the filter.

The white “spots” are growing. They are kinda “flakier” than they were but def bigger. And I think there are a few more small spots forming on his other side.

What could this white stuff be? And how do I get rid of it???

Thank you all in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Your fish has hole in the head disease. You can tell by the cyst that is pushing out of the head. They'll fall out and create holes...hence the name. Also the nervous system is compromised by the line you see on it's body.

You will need to get some treatment for this. Go to the LFS and find a drug that does hole in the head disease. I think API General cure does this.

How does this happen? Poor water conditions and poor diet.

3. OP
    OP
    f

floki5 New Member Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think I should do api general cure first or work on getting the water conditions right first. Does the general cure require you to take the carbon out also?

4. Fieryskys

Fieryskys Valued Member Member

Definitely take the carbon out. It will pull the meds out of the water

5. OP
    OP
    f

floki5 New Member Member

So I still have the green color from the fungus cure. That won’t go anywhere till I put the carbon back. Should I run the tank with carbon for a few days before the general cure?

6. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

You could hypothetically but a lot of waterchanges will also do the same thing and get your water quality under control. I’d suggest just a lot of waterchanges.

In the meantime (and when I say that I mean ASAP) get some meds to help the HITH disease.

How is the other fish?

7. OP
    OP
    f

floki5 New Member Member

Other fish is fine. But I think he’s used to bad water.

So my plan is to do a good water change tomorrow and put the general cure in and let that sit for a day or 2 (whatever the directions say) then I’ll do another water change and get the carbon back in. Sound good?

Thanks again.

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah APIGC is 25% water change, treat, leave alone for two days and restart treatment. You will need to do about 2-3 as recommended but with HITH you might need to do more work.

9. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I'd get a proper med.for this disease.

General = a shot in the dark

10. OP
    OP
    f

floki5 New Member Member

What would that be?

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Esha Hexamita for instance.