Flowerhorn what?

Discussion in 'Fishkeeping Hot Topics' started by MatildaLjungberg, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MatildaLjungberg

MatildaLjungberg Valued Member Member

I wanted to start out by saying that I'm not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings if they're a fan of this kind of fish. I just don't see the attraction. To me this looks awful. I don't know a lot about Flowerhorns but this just seems excessive. Is it just me?

I would post a pic but I don't think I'm allowed to because I don't own the rights.

2. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

I agree. It looks like it would compromise the fish's ability to get around.

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Thats pretty gross looking, almost as creepy as ADF's.

But really no different in theory than the horribly disfigured goldfish that are very prevalent in our hobby.

4. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

That does seem a bit much, and certainly not worth (to me) $1000!

I will admit that even though I'm not the biggest fan of flowerhorns, some can be really pretty.

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

ADF's creepy? Are you kidding me!!! I love African Dwarf Frogs! In fact, I have 4 of 'em.

6. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Sorry for the OT post, They gross me out, their pale, stretchy skin and spindly limbs just......yuck. They look like they belong in the bowels of a cave.

Eta, this post was in response to another post that dissapeared :confused:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. A

This Thread should be taken off the forum, IMO.

8. OP
    OP
    MatildaLjungberg

Can I ask why you think that?

9. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Alex. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but personally I don't think a thread complaining about the way a fish looks is necessary, plus it's insulting to those who like Flowerhorns. I don't think that picture is representative of the species at all either, so people who aren't familiar with them are being given the wrong impression. What if someone who loves Flowehorns joins, and this is the first thread they see? It doesn't represent the website well, and FishLore is known for being very tolerant and accepting of a wide variety of views.

10. A

I don't think I could have typed that any better, kinezumi. Well done. :)

11. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

The humps on their heads, the Kok (pronounced coke) is natural fat storage. There are a fair number of New World Cichlids that have it. It's a survival mechanism, when times are lean they have fat reserves that will keep them alive.

Red Devils, Midas, Green Terrors, Texas Cichlids, even Convicts can get it.

12. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

While I think it's an odd looking fish, I think the color is pretty. And If I had that fish in my tank I would name it Brainio...

13. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

It could be professor X, we just gotta hook it up to cerebro.

14. OP
    OP
    MatildaLjungberg

It was not my intention to be insulting or to give Fishlore a negative image. I do apologize if I gave that impression.

15. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I don't see anything wrong with the thread personally, don't people have a right to dislike things? He's not ranting about it and it seems pretty respectful even.

Personally I think they look silly, but to each his own.

16. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

I agree with jeta. I have looked around other FH's and some are really nice I just think that particular one seems to be a bit excessive like Matilda said. But that can happen to many fish I have seen other species (fish and mammals) where I think the "enhanced" characteristic has gone a little too far.

I have no problems with selective breeding to enhance certain features, but that looks to be a serious hindrance to the fish but without seeing it move, and without knowing much about flowerhorn's I am not going to pass judgement on how right or wrong that is. That would depend upon how the kok being so large effected the fish's quality of life. The fish may not be bothered by this look at all in which case I would say he would make an interesting centrepiece (maybe not worth that amount of $ though!)

17. oscardude

oscardude Valued Member Member

I like flower horns but that does seem a little excessive. To each his own.

18. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I've seen some epic nuchal humps on wild/f1/f2 fish in the past, so I could imagine with some selective breeding I could see them getting bigger in short order. I've also heard about injections but I don't know how true that is.

I recently read an article about nuchal humps that I thought was pretty interesting, here's the link.

19. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

What we're really talking about here is censorship. The problem with censorship/discrimination is that once it starts, where does it end? And who will be the arbiter? And what gives the arbiter the right? There's nothing wrong with stating an opion in a courteous way.

20. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

While this discussion may not appeal to everyone please limit posts to the topic.
    If it is not your cup of tea, please move on to another thread.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice