Flowerhorn Or Blood Parrots In 55 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Foobie97, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

could a flowerhorn live in a 55? Also how about blood parrots? Are they personable

2. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

A flowerhorn may be able to live in one, particularly if it's a short body.

As for the parrot, they grow big (over 6 inches) and in a 12 inch wide aquarium, a 55g doesn't offer a lot of room. Its a lit better to use a 40g breeder or a 75g to ensure they have enough room.

3. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

So a 40 gallon would be better for a blood parrot and how’s there personality

4. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Im my option, yes.

According to those that have kept them, they like wet puppy dogs and make a highly interactive pet!

5. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Awesome man ty

6. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! I am CaptainAquatics, wanna know where I got my name from? I have a blood parrot named Captain and he is my favorite fish. Captains is highly interactive with me and he is a pig when it come to eating. I also have a flowerhorn, who is also highly interactive. I am going to list some pros and cons of each of the fish, as well as tank size and diet:

Blood Parrot:
    Pros-
    - interactive
    - eats well
    - attention hog (when I pay attention to other fish that are in the same tank as captain he pushes his way in front of them)
    - good coloration
    - can eat from your hand with training
    - can be trained to be pet (haven’t decided this with mine yet but I am going to start working on it)
    - 7-8 year lifespan (they can live up to 15 years with super good care and good genetics)

Cons-
    - has deformed mouth that can make hard to eat (however they will eat whatever they can get)
    - can be fairly mean
    - gets 8 inches long so need a big tank
    - is hard to get to jump for food because of mouth

Diet-
    - krill (99% of diet)
    - blood worms/pellets (1% of diet (more of a treat))
    - catfish pellets (he just steals these from my catfish)

Tank size-

In my oppinion I would agree with the post above, they do get fairly large and need room to turn, a 40 gallon breeder or a 75 is good

Flowerhorn:
    Pros-
    - cool coloration
    - very interactive
    - can be trained to jump for food, eat out of our hand, and be pet (mine does all of these things, including letting me pet him)
    - comes in two forms, long bodied and short bodied
    - has the bump on its head (this is also on the con list Incase you don’t like the way it looks)

Cons-
    - has bump on head
    - (this mainly apples to short bodied) shortened life span because of deformitys and other general health issues because of mutation
    - life span of about 5-7 years (can live longer with good care and genetics)
    - hyper aggressive, can’t be housed with any other fish other than plecos and bichirs (I tried for months to house my flowerhorn with my other big fish, when he was 4 inches long, he killed my 10 inch Oscar (possibly, that Oscar jumped out but I think the flowerhorn chased him out, needless to say that flowerhorn lives alone now because once that bug Oscar was out, he started to harass my other fish))
    - they have sharp teeth and if they bite you, it hurts (I have been bitten)

Diet-
    - krill (99% of diet)
    - blood worms/pellets (1% of diet (more of a treat))

Tank size-

In my oppinion anything bigger than a 40 gallon breeder works.

I hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know and here are some photos of my captain and bubbles my flowerhorn: 353A334A-9808-4C71-8687-BD2214742162.jpeg14D2D0C8-D78E-46CE-A204-E30F5D0BB348.jpeg (keep in mind both these photos are a little old)

7. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Ok, I just looked at your profile and it says you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle. Ok, I am going to explain this in the simplest way I can, but please do research on it yourself as well. I would also like to cover general care of fish.

The nitrogen cycle:

The nitrogen cycle is basically the base foundation of any tank, without one, your tank crashes and your fish die. Pretty much what you are doing is cycling our tank (meaning letting it run empty with no fish in it for a month or two) and then adding fish. Durning that month you are building up a colony of beneficial bacteria, which helps keep your tank clean (keep in mind you can physically see this bacteria). The bacteria will break down the very harmful chemical ammonia (which is made when fish poop), to the less harmful nitrite, and then down to the least harmful nitrate. You then have to remove nitrate with water changes, which you have to do weekely. You should be changing about 50% of the water weekely. If you are on city water you will also have to get de-clorinator. You should have a heater installed to keep the tank at about 76 degrees farenheight, and have a large filter made for a big tank with carbon and zeolite in it, as well as some filter sponge to filterout any poop or debree. You will also have to test water weekely to make sure the water parameters are correct. PLEASE RESEARCH THIS TOPIC MORE, I am only giving a basic idea of what you need to do.

General care of fish-

Hi, here are some general care topics for keeping fish.
    1. Weekely water changes of about 50%
    2. Research the fish’s diet that you are getting, and get food acordingly
    3. Watch for parasites like ich
    4. Don’t go into this hobby exepting it to be easy or cheap. For a large tank like you want to get it WILL be EXPENSIVE. I once spent 50$ worth of fish food that was gone in a month.
    5. Do your research on every fish you get
    6. Take pet store employees info with a grain of salt, there are some pet stores that give generally good info, however most do not

If you have any questions please let me know.

8. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

So a blood parrot or a flowerhorn can live in a 40

9. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Yes

10. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Ty for your help!!! Out of the 2 wht u reccomend ? And live aquaria got a red star flower horn

11. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

What quality's do you want in your fish? Do you want more personality, more color, bigger, smaller, able to go with other fish, not able to go with other fish? What quality's do you want.

12. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

More personality for sure , from what I see the flowerhorn can’t live with other fish

13. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Here is what I am going to say:

If you want a fish that has lots of personality, can eat from your hand, and can be taught several tricks, I would go for the Flowerhorn. The only downside is that you can't house them with anything other than plecos, however there are a few really cool plecos (I would recommend the blue phantom)

If you want a fish that can go with many other fish, gets a little bigger, and also has personality and a bit of a longer life span, I would go blood parrot. The only downside to blood parrots is that they are a bit harder to train, however you can train them with enough work. Blood parrots can also be house with more than just plecos, you could do a few different fish.

Which fish do you think you will pick?

14. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Most likely the flowerhorn

15. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Alright :)

16. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Could the flowerhorn be okay in a 20 long until I can upgrade next feb? I wouldn’t get the flowerhorn until most likely this summer

17. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Yes he would be fine in a 20 long when he is small, he would even be fine in a 10 gallon for a little bit, just not his whole life.

18. Foobie97Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much I appreciate your help

19. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

NP

20. Punkus_MagunkusValued MemberMember

I disagree with the others about flowerhorns. First off there are mainly 2 body types long and short, short bodied flowerhorns wont live as long or grow as big maybe 8-10inches long which may be able to live in a 40g breeder but would be much happier in a 75. Long bodied flowerhorns on the other hand constantly get 10-12 inches long and the same thing goes except even worse off in the 40g. A 40g breeder is 18 inches wide and 36inches long. If the flowerhorn takes up 11inches of that its going to be uncomfortable