Flowerhorn Never Ending Hunger?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by LocNess, Apr 25, 2018.

1. L

LocNess New Member Member

My Flowerhorn wont stop coming up for food! I’ve already put about 25 pellets in there and its some how not enough?

I dont intend on feeding him more for now, but I would like to know why hes doing this?

Attached Files:

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Because most fish, especially cichlids, have bigger eyes than stomachs. I would suggest more than just pellets. I would do bloodworms, brine shrimp, live fish, ect. On separate feedings of course, not at once.

3. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

being that I have a south American cichlid tank, I've found that all of my fish beg for food every single time they see me. Every time. It's doesn't matter if i feed them in multiple feeding throughout the day, a bunch at once, whatever, they're always hungry :p

4. shiv234

shiv234 Well Known Member Member

Most of not all cichlids have eyes bigger than their brain. I tried to see how far my 8 inch oscar would go and he ate till food couldn't go down his stomach.....(don't worry, i touched his tail and he spit it all out)

5. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

Most fish will beg for food, no matter what.

Feed only a few pellets a day, what he'll eat in 1-2 minutes.

I'd partially agree with what's said above. Frozen foods are great for fish. Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, and occasionally bloodworms are great for larger cichlids.

However... feeder fish are almost never a good idea. Any feeders you buy from a store will probably come diseased, and may disease your fish. There's very little point in feeding live when you don't need to, and if your fish is already eating pellets, there's obviously no need for live foods.

6. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

My largest flowerhorn bites at the glass when he begs, he can smack the glass pretty hard. Begging is very normal for flowerhorns. It's important not to give in, it's unhealthy to overfeed.

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I’ve heard need 2 daily feeding until the flowerhorn has a small belly bulge and have one day a week where you do one feeding to where 5e flowerhorn gets a big belly bulge.

8. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Feeding by belly bulge really only works on small fish.

9. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Fish do not have a stop eating trigger, they do not understand you will feed them every day (or whatever feeding schedule you have), they will beg whenever they see you because they know you feed them. Most of my fish wiggle and dance to try and get more food even if they have just been fed.

10. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Fish have no self-control; you need to be the one in control. If not, all is lost.

11. Aqua Hands

Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

Fish are beggers. I have African Peacocks, Everytime I walk by I feel like garbage because they look starved. But I just feed them 20-30 pellets and frozen mysis with frozen Brine shrimp. I would just feed what you would think will work.

Oh yea, I have a gar that if I don't feed him a feeder every day im not cleaning the tank. He bites me everyday I don't feed him one. He also does the shark grab where I hold it out of the water an inch and he jumps and grabs them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice