90 Gallon Tank Flowerhorn in 90 gallon

Batmantheanglefish

I recently got a 90 gallon tank and was thinking of putting a flowerhorn in it. I know they are extremely aggressive fish so I am thinking about it being the only fish in the tank unless someone else has any suggestions. Also what kind of food should I give it? I have read different things online. Thanks!

smalli

Batmantheanglefish said:
I recently got a 90 gallon tank and was thinking of putting a flowerhorn in it. I know they are extremely aggressive fish so I am thinking about it being the only fish in the tank unless someone else has any suggestions. Also what kind of food should I give it? I have read different things online. Thanks!
Edit: Delete cause im wrong and giving bad advice

Jojo205

AggressiveAquatics can help

AggressiveAquatics

Hi! Great choice in picking a flowerhorn they are like little puppies! They should be the only fish in the tank because they are very aggressive and will kill anything you add but their personality makes up for it. You can do some trial and error with decor. I recommend sand because they like to dig but you can try some decorations and see how it goes. Mine is so aggressive he injured himself on anything I put in there so I have a bare tank with just sand (if you want pics I’ll be more than happy to show you. While they are big fish they don’t seem to like flow that much so I’d recommend a canister filter especially for a 90 gallon. Heres an article I wrote about what to feed them. A Proper diet for your flowerhorn You don’t have to follow it exactly because you can add some of your own things in or feed a little more or a little less depending on your specific guy (I don’t even follow this everyday lol). In the article I mentione how they are omnivores and benefit from vegetables but don’t worry if yours won’t eat them it’s just an extra source of vitamins but the food has enough on its own if you can’t get him to eat it. Males will have the kok which is the hump that they are known for while the females don’t have one or in rare cases they can have a small one. And I’d advise against short bodied flowerhorns as cute and small as they are they have terrible genetics and reduced lifespans. Eventually once you get your little guy or girl I have an article on how to grade them as well. Fee free to ask more questions!

Batmantheanglefish

Thank you so for all the helpful info! As of right now I have sand in the tank and a Fluval FX6 Canister Filter. I have no decor in there so I think I’ll keep it that way so it won’t injure itself. I want to get a male as the Bump looks awesome on the fish!! My LFS has them (I’m not sure which type) but they are red, yellow, white and orange. most have bumps on their head. I read the article you made and it’s also helpful I’ll follow the feeding schedule, order the foods, and get the flowerhorn probably sometime this week as my tank finished cycling FINNALY! That would be awesome to see pics of yours! I’ll definitely read the article on how to grade them when I get mine.

AggressiveAquatics

Batmantheanglefish said:
Thank you so for all the helpful info! As of right now I have sand in the tank and a Fluval FX6 Canister Filter. I have no decor in there so I think I’ll keep it that way so it won’t injure itself. I want to get a male as the Bump looks awesome on the fish!! My LFS has them (I’m not sure which type) but they are red, yellow, white and orange. most have bumps on their head. I read the article you made and it’s also helpful I’ll follow the feeding schedule, order the foods, and get the flowerhorn probably sometime this week as my tank finished cycling FINNALY! That would be awesome to see pics of yours! I’ll definitely read the article on how to grade them when I get mine.
I’m using the fx6 for my flowerhorn tank as well!
Here’s some pics and make sure to share some of yours when you get him!

FCB2A00D-D21D-40C6-B173-7DACFF7C9F26.jpeg

(This one is an old pic. Since then I’ve removed the power head)

Batmantheanglefish

that’s funny! Wow he looks awesome!! The colors are so vivid. I will definitely share pics when I get him. Thanks again for the help!

Batmantheanglefish

Well I ended up getting the flowerhorn today... here’s a pic (ignore the algae I already cleaned it since photo) it’s still small so I’m assuming it’s not fully grown. I have no idea what type he is and the worker at store didn’t know either :/. The tag was just labeled “flowerhorn” not very specific lol. I have no idea what to name him so I’m open to suggestions!

AggressiveAquatics

Batmantheanglefish said:
Well I ended up getting the flowerhorn today... here’s a pic (ignore the algae I already cleaned it since photo) it’s still small so I’m assuming it’s not fully grown. I have no idea what type he is and the worker at store didn’t know either :/. The tag was just labeled “flowerhorn” not very specific lol. I have no idea what to name him so I’m open to suggestions!
Yep nowhere near full grown. They can get up to 10-12 inches. He’s a really nice little guy!
Edit: looks like a zz red dragon

Batmantheanglefish

Wow he’s gonna look awesome when full grown!! I actually do have a question. Do you know if the “bump” on his head get bigger as he gets older or does it stay around the same size?

AggressiveAquatics

Batmantheanglefish said:
Wow he’s gonna look awesome when full grown!! I actually do have a question. Do you know if the “bump” on his head get bigger as he gets older or does it stay around the same size?
It gets bigger as he grows. Mines was about as big as that when I first got him

Batmantheanglefish

AggressiveAquatics said:
AggressiveAquatics said:
AggressiveAquatics said:
AggressiveAquatics said:
AggressiveAquatics said:
AggressiveAquatics said:
Ok! Thanks for all the info! Cant wait to see him grow!
Edit: sorry for all the quotes idk how that happened lol

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom