Flowerhorn Hith

Ramberto777

Reaction score
Hi I believe my flowerhorn has hith at the moment and Im not sure what to do. His water parameters are good and stable, and have treated him with general cure once, then waited about 5 days and then did it again. He was looking pretty bad the day after the second dose so I did about a 30% water change and threw in some fresh carbon. Now, he looks better but more holes have appeared. He hasn't eaten since the first dose and im a bit nervous about that since he usually loves to eat. What should I do? Also forgot to say, its an 80 gallon tank and will supply pictures if wanted. He is about 4 years old and this is the first time ive run carbon on the tank. Im 99% sure its hexamita but Ive never dealt with this before

Nick72

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Active Carbon has been linked with HITH for Flowerhorn's, so the first thing to do is remove it from your filter and never use it again.

This means removing meds with large water changes in future.

I had some GBR die from HITH, I treated with API - General Cure, but unfortunately it did not work in my case. I felt like I had caught it pretty early as well.

I would continue with General Cure but without the active carbon, unless someone on this board knows of a better medicine.

OP
Ramberto777

Ramberto777

Reaction score
Nick72 said:
Active Carbon has been linked with HITH for Flowerhorn's, so the first thing to do is remove it from your filter and never use it again.

This means removing meds with large water changes in future.

I had some GBR die from HITH, I treated with API - General Cure, but unfortunately it did not work in my case. I felt like I had caught it pretty early as well.

I would continue with General Cure but without the active carbon, unless someone on this board knows of a better medicine.
Ok, ill take the carbon out. Its only been running in there for about a day, since i just threw it in to take out the rest of the medicine since it seemed to really bother him. By any chance do you know if epsom salt would help? I read some places that it would but im not to sure at the moment

Nick72

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ramberto777 said:
Ok, ill take the carbon out. Its only been running in there for about a day, since i just threw it in to take out the rest of the medicine since it seemed to really bother him. By any chance do you know if epsom salt would help? I read some places that it would but im not to sure at the moment
Epsom Salts will not cure HITH. I've got a planted tank and add Epsom Salts to my water for the magnesium it provides the plants. Didn't stop my GBR getting HITH or cure them.

New Threads