Flowerhorn Feeding Question

Rivieraneo
I have little experience with Flowerhorns, but have certainly learned a lot since I inherited ours with an advanced case of hex. Now that our adult King Kamfa is close to fully recovering, I am putting him on a diet primarily of New Life
Spectra 7mm pellets. My question is how often, how many, and how many times a day should he be fed for optimal health. He is a full grown adult and is approximately 8 - 10 inches long. Experienced help and input is appreciated.

Claire Bear
HI Rivieraneo, I too have a Flowerhorn, King Kamfa Viper. I bought mine along with his tank-a 90 gallon. Anyway, I believe from everything I have read and from what the previous owner told me-keeping him fed will keep his kok filled and large. It will also keep him healthy. I am feeding mine marineland (until it is empty) and gradually switching to Grand Sumo Red.
A second thing the previous owner clued me in on was to light his tank with a red light-I purchased one on ebay and there are bulbs for existing fixtures.
Mine has a ton of personality and I will tell you that on the trip home-he got totally stressed but is doing great now!
Phred and Jack in 90 gallon.jpg
One last comment, I feed mine a few, 7-8, they float and if he doesn't finish them in several minutes, I fish them out. I also give him blood worms for treats on occasion.

Rivieraneo
HI Rivieraneo, I too have a Flowerhorn, King Kamfa Viper. I bought mine along with his tank-a 90 gallon. Anyway, I believe from everything I have read and from what the previous owner told me-keeping him fed will keep his kok filled and large. It will also keep him healthy. I am feeding mine marineland (until it is empty) and gradually switching to Grand Sumo Red.
A second thing the previous owner clued me in on was to light his tank with a red light-I purchased one on ebay and there are bulbs for existing fixtures.
Mine has a ton of personality and I will tell you that on the trip home-he got totally stressed but is doing great now!View attachment 127712
One last comment, I feed mine a few, 7-8, they float and if he doesn't finish them in several minutes, I fish them out. I also give him blood worms for treats on occasion.

I don't recommend high protein or color enhancing foods like humpy head, sumo, sumo red, Ching mix, etc as they have devastating effects in FH's liver and kidneys. CZ Aquaproducts specializes in FH's, I recommend you visit their website and do some research. Some FH's life cycle is reduced to only 2 years by using these products.

If you feed live food, make sure it's freeze dried to prevent internal parasites, I feed mine brine shrimp as a snack.

Thai Aquarium owner
I am glad that the fish is recovering well from his diet of raw shrimp that the previous owner fed him on.
As with all fish, only feed the Flowerhorn as much food as he will completely clear in 2/3 minutes, only and feed once a day during the mornings, as will give the fish a chance to digest the food during daylight hours when he will be active
Try to feed a diet of food that has krill and shrimp meal in it and also occasionally feed some food high in Spirulina
Also sometimes miss a day of feeding the fish, this will also help digestion, and I can assure you that he will really benefit from this
Best wishes

Claire Bear
Thank you for the additional information. I was given advice on these things and then did some research. There is much to learn and I will continue to learn. And for clarification, I use frozen blood worms but not often. So, the sumo red is not a good food-should I just throw this food away? I am no expert for sure but thought that I had made good choices for Phred. I will do more research!

Heros severus
HikarI makes a bunch of foods for large fish. There's also several NLS and Omega one foods appropriate.

For my big fish, I feed once a day as much as they can eat in about 30 seconds to 1 min. I think the 2-3 min. rule is over feeding, especially with big fish. They can pack away a lot of food in 2 minuets.

Rivieraneo
Funny you mentioned NLS, I picked up a container, though am suspect it might be counterfeit as NLS products have a blue lid and either silver of gold around the outer band of their decals, you be the judge:

Thai Aquarium owner
Sure, fish can eat a lot of food in 2 to 3 minutes, but in my experience, the Flowerhorn fish are rather slow to get on get on the food
They just kind of lumber all the time

Heros severus
That's not NLS. How much did it cost? NLS is pretty pricey.

Rivieraneo
for 8 ounces I paid $18. That's a larger tub they sell that is 5lb's for $55, it is placed next to all their other NLS products which I know are ligitamite, the only ones that come with a larger container with white tops are the 7mm pellets.

Heres a picture from a website selling the same food and container I purchased from LFS:

Rivieraneo
I just emailed NLS to confirm if this is a counterfeit or real product. Odd though, on the NLS site, it has a link for "cichlid food reviews" and when I clicked on it, the reviews are regarding NLS cichlid food in a similar container, please see the link below:

Heros severus
NLS is made in the US, It wouldn't have a foreign language written on it. Here's what a legit container of Extra large fish formula looks like.

Unless that container was intended for foreign markets? But why would they be selling it here? I'm interested to see if you get a response from the NLS people.

Rivieraneo
We will see. Everyone at NLS is out if office and not back until the 19th, they are at an aquarium show. Looks like some of their cichlid food is packaged in a similar container, glad I didn't buy any larger quantity in case it is counterfeit.

Rivieraneo
Got a response back, it is NOT counterfeit, just old stock, approx 3 years old. They said its still good with a shelf life of 5 plus years. NLS recently started putting date stamps on their products, so make sure you check them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Turricantheud
Replies
Views
ashenwelt
Replies
Views
Captain Unusual
Replies
Views