Flowerhorn Cichlid?

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've considered buying this hybrid and I was wondering.. Can I house 1 in a 46 gallon?

Thx in advance

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Flowerhorns have the potential to grow pretty large... I'd say this is a fish that needs a 55 gallon or more, but that's just my opinion and I will say that I haven't kept flowerhorns.

Welcome to Fishlore and good luck with whatever you decide to do!

allibobs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They are very very nice fish, I'd love one but sooooooooooo don't have the room :-(

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
allibobs said:
They are very very nice fish, I'd love one but sooooooooooo don't have the room :-(
My parents are making me get rid of my Rams and looking into a Flowerhorn.. My parents are so gullable.. some guy told them that Flowerhorns bring good luck and I'm forced to take care of it

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aw, that's rough. That must be pretty frustrating for you.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
harpua2002 said:
Aw, that's rough. That must be pretty frustrating for you.
it really is.. Gosh darn it.. My rams were about to Spawn too! sigh.. but my mom said if I can keep my Flowerhorn alive for 6 months.. I get to buy a 125 gallon tank.. Luckily for me, Flowerhorns can live in most water conditions as long as its not extreme

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
can any1 answer my question?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on the size of the Flowerhorn is when you get it you might be able to keep it in your 46gal for 6 months so long as it's on it's own. They really need at least 75gal as a permanant home but 46gal should be ok as a temporary home so long as the fish is under 4" when you get it.

Flowerhorns are very nice fish but they are also highly aggressive. Don't get tempted to put anything else in the 46gal with it & when you get the 125 gallon choose only the toughest of fish to be tank mates.

The best advice I can give you is that you ask your parents to wait until they actually have the 125 gallon before getting the Flowerhorn. Things happen in life & it would be a shame if they couldn't provide a suitable home for the Flowerhorn because something unexpected happened.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nutter said:
Depending on the size of the Flowerhorn is when you get it you might be able to keep it in your 46gal for 6 months so long as it's on it's own. They really need at least 75gal as a permanant home but 46gal should be ok as a temporary home so long as the fish is under 4" when you get it.

Flowerhorns are very nice fish but they are also highly aggressive. Don't get tempted to put anything else in the 46gal with it & when you get the 125 gallon choose only the toughest of fish to be tank mates.

The best advice I can give you is that you ask your parents to wait until they actually have the 125 gallon before getting the Flowerhorn. Things happen in life & it would be a shame if they couldn't provide a suitable home for the Flowerhorn because something unexpected happened.
Really?! I saw that some people split up a 75 gallon into little sections to house their Flowerhorns. what's that about?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's about people not caring much for their fish & treating them more like ornaments than like living creatures or simply thinking that because it's a hybrid that it doesn't need to be cared for properly. Flowerhorns can get up to 15" so they are by no means a smal fish that should be confined in a small area.

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh my gosh.. I know a lady that keeps 6 of them in a 75 gallon.. I told her they looked cramped.. SHe said they were fine. Ugh.. I'm mad.. >:[

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CichlidsYay said:
My parents are so gullable.. some guy told them that Flowerhorns bring good luck and I'm forced to take care of it

Actually one of the big hooplas over the Flowerhorns when they were first showing up was the fact that many Asian keepers did and still do believe they bring good luck and other such things.
Many people I know in the hobby who are Asian, their parents are not into fish, however their parents have one tank going for this very reason.

Brian

CichlidsYay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
btate617 said:
Many people I know in the hobby who are Asian, their parents are not into fish, however their parents have one tank going for this very reason.

Brian
Fits my situation perfectly.. Especially with the asian parents that have a fish tank for one reason T__T

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads