flower vases...

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well i have a 1 gallon tank that i put some of my fish in when they're sick and all. (i know it's not large..but ya<--they've always eben fine with it. And i'm NOT CRUEL for doing this, each time they went in there they came out PERFECTLY HEALTHY.)
recently i've wanted a betta since i have not had one for about..6 months due to moving and well he didn't make it...then i just wanted to settle in and well here i am!
anyways, i would like to keep the 1 gallon tank empty, but i do not have the 20-75$ to buy a 1-5gallon tank for the betta..
and well if you all know ikea, they have some huge flower vases...and i was wondering if i could buy one..
i've found one that's quite large..i'd say about 2-3 gallons large..
and i was wondering if it'd be alright..and yes i know they need a heater and filter..
but i take water every 3-5 days from my 10 gallon tank and replace 50-75% of the betta tank's water with that.
it's worked so far perfectly!

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tamara 2-3 gallons is not big enough for a betta. Taking water from another tank to do water changes is just replacing dirty water with dirty water. Water changes need to be done with clean dechlorinated water. And as you already stated they need a heater and filter.
Carol

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't be putting flowers in it..
just like the vase instead of a tank..
well i just want to say that a vase is much better than those 2-3 inches glass jars they have in the stores.
so if you prefere me to just let them suffer in the .10gallon water there then so be it.
i won't buy one.
i just thought maybe i'd save a soul.
but obviously you think i shouldn't.
and also my room temp. is 80 degrees year round....so i don't need a heater.
and the water in my 10 gallon tank is the best water i've seen so far.
it's ammonia 0 nitrite 0 ph 7.2 crystal clear, nothing floating around in it, no poo on the ground.
so i thought maybe it'd be perfect.
but i guess it's not good enough for your standards.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry Tamara, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.... :-[

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tamara nobodys trying to make you do anything by anybody elses standards. But this is what they need to be healthy and happy and I would be very remiss if I didn't say so.
Anything I say I say with the utmost respect to you and concern for the fish.
Carol

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't get angry Tamara. We're just thinking of the fish. The problem with vases as well is that they have no cover and Bettas jump out of them. There's nothing wrong with trying to save a Betta but it might be better to wait until you can get a larger tank. I see you are in Canada... so am I. If you have a Petsmart store near you then you can get a 10 gallon tank for only $11.99. That's what I paid for mine. Of course you need to buy the filter and heater separate. The 10 gallon tanks are cheaper than the 5 gallon and even cheaper than the 2 1/2 gallon for some reason.

Christmas is coming up soon. Maybe you could ask for a 5-10 gallon tank for Christmas with filter and heater. Then go and find a lucky Betta to put in it and take care of.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think she needs a heater. Her room temperature is around 80 F.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They have 5 gallon tanks at Walmart for $29.95 that have the filter and light already and all they need is the heater and if as you say the room temperature is 80 year round, you could probably do without the heater unless it changes.  It would be well worth your while to wait for the opportunity to have the larger tank and the filter.  You cannot imagine the difference in the behavior of a betta that is kept in a tank that has room and is properly kept.  This is not a criticism just a fact.  We do not criticize people here just give out the facts of what the fish need to have the best and longest lifespans.  It is true that the fish would be better off with more room but I have to agree with Butterfly that if you absolutely have to have the fish in a vase, it is going to have to have new clean dechlorinated water, not used water from your other tank.  I do not care what the parameters are, it is still used tank water that other fish have been in.  They are not used to having other fish in their tank or cup and have no immunity to other fish's problems.  You would be asking for any of many problems.  The vase is also going to need to have 50% water changes at least every other day to make up for the fact that it is not filtered.  (no matter what the parameters are of the water you put in, the betta will put out ammonia constantly and you will need to put in clean water at least that often to keep the levels down)  The lifespan of the fish is also going to be shortened no matter how well you take care of it.  This is a fact of life.  Bettas that are kept in heated and filtered tanks are kept in the best and most perfect conditions for them and have a healthier environment.  Even with the water changes, your betta in a bowl or vase is going to spend about half his time in an environment of ammonia soaked water.  This is going to affect him.  He is going to be more likely to pick up the diseases of ich, or velvet, or finrot because of the uncycled environment.  

These things are not meant as criticism.  It is fact that would be stated to anyone who needed to know it.  You may make up your own mind what to do.  I would be remiss not to let you know the risks and possible consequences of doing what you are talking of.  If you decide to do what you are suggesting, there is not going to be anyone looking down on you or treating you badly.  We just want you to be aware of the facts.

Rose

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The thing is this: you certain could keep a betta in 2-3 gallons and to be honest I know a lot of people who have and the bettas live a good long time, are healthy, no problems at all with them.

The thing is, bettas will fluorish a lot more in a larger tank. The behavior difference is startling. Bettas in small tanks I must emphasize can be perfectly healthy and may be seen to blow bubble nests and such, but they don't really have a lot to do and will seem inactive a lot of the time. Bettas in larger tanks are curious, active and spend time exploring their surroundings. But you haven't described your bettas actions so maybe you're doing just fine as it is.

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
just thought i would tell you that they killed about 30 bettas because no one was buying them.
when it COULD have been 28.
but you guys talked me out of it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am sorry that they destroyed the bettas and that you are feeling so bitter about it, but please realize that you still had the final decision to make as to whether to purchase the fish. We gave you the best information we knew to give you about the questions you asked and then you had to make up your own mind. I am so sorry that you are upset but please do not make us responsible for something we had no part in.

Rose

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
actually more or less i was thinking that i shouldn't have listened to you guys and that i shouldn't ahve even asked here.
because i could ahve saved lives even if it was onl 1 year, that's better than the couple of weeks they got.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WHAT! THEY KILLED THEM! AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I DEMAND THEM TO GO TO DO A DIFFERENT BUISNESS!!!!!!!!!! I HOPE THEY GET NO CUSTOMERS!!!! > >

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
actually...they get PLENTY of customers...!
..superpet?
ever heard of them?
but ya. that's them.
well "getting rid of them"
i take taht as killing them pretty much... >

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Tamera,
I know you are upset, but you can't save them all. Even if you had bought 2 of them, 18 would have still died. By buying their bettas, that is encouraging them to put more in the store. If folks quit buying them there, maybe they will quit killing them.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Tamara said:
just thought i would tell you that they killed about 30 bettas because no one was buying them.
when it COULD have been 28.
I am utterly shocked to hear this!!! :'( :'( :'( How could they have done it? They're so CRUEL! I'd never buy again from that store, NEVER! They should be REPORTED!

Tamara said:
actually more or less i was thinking that i shouldn't have listened to you guys and that i shouldn't ahve even asked here.
because i could ahve saved lives even if it was onl 1 year, that's better than the couple of weeks they got.
Tamara, none of the above people forced you to do as they pleased. All they did was give you information and answer your questions. What you do with the information and with the answers is totally UP TO YOU. If you do not feel they they are helpful, or if you disagree with them, you don't "have to" listen to them at all. However, it is always the moderators' responsibility to answer questions honestly - and this is all we do here. I hope you understand and not get angry at us - we're really trying to help you .

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tamara said:
well "getting rid of them"
i take taht as killing them pretty much... >
Did someone tell you point blank that they had killed the bettas? Maybe they sent them to another store or sold them as a group really cheap to another store. I can't see them killing something they could make even a little bit of money from.
If they did kill them that is just horrible and they don't deserve your business.
Carol

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
they didn't sell them, they actually said they were getting old and got rid of them..

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe it was for the bettas' benefit? After all, the bettas probably had a horrible life in those cups. So maybe it is better?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom