Flower Pots

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Terra Cotta flower pots make great inexpensive caves.
Steer clear of anything with paint or glazes, They could leach toxins into the water.

burnellhman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Do they sell terra cotta flower pot at home depot and rasbo_otto at home depot the flower pot come in all sizes.

Lucy I found out they sell terra cotta flower pots in all sizes at hgome depot.

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What Lucy said.

Also, I tend to avoid plastics, if I can. Some plastics put off chemicals that are toxic (thankfully, many states and even the federal government are working on identifying these plastics and limiting their use). They're not something that will flat-out kill your fish, but they might cause a likelihood of illness or affect the health of fry.

Edit: Yep, Home Depot sells teracota. In fact, most places that have plants do. They're really cheap to make, which means they're cheap to buy, which means a lot of people use them. And yes, they come in sizes from thimble all the way up to multiple gallons.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Home Depot is where I got all my Terra cotta pots, even the teeny ones, which ironically, cost more than some of the bigger ones.

-Lisa

burnellhman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
There is a 3in terracotta flower pot for 98 cents at homedepot i will be getting some today

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have even used Terra Cotta pots and cut them in half with a hacksaw. You can even block the front partially for a smaller opening. You can even bury or cover them with the substrate. If you really get in the creative mood, you can always smear aquarium silicone on them and roll them in gravel to your liking.

burnellhman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have even used Terra Cotta pots and cut them in half with a hacksaw. You can even block the front partially for a smaller opening. You can even bury or cover them with the substrate. If you really get in the creative mood, you can always smear aquarium silicone on them and roll them in gravel to your liking.
Thats really cool could I use a regular knife or is it to hard.

Kathy Potts

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pun intended......... But sorry, a knife wouldn't cut it

You can even drop the pot and put pieces in the aquarium.

lamom43

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have a hobby lobby they sell them there. Thats where i bought my terracotta pots.

BunnyPuncher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No need for a hack saw. Use a cold chisel and a hammer. They fracture along the line if you hit the top of the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:

burnellhman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well i wont be breaking it i will actually be buying more next week.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm a big fan of adding terracotta into aquariums. Check the pot for rough edges. Sand them down if necessary. You may want to use some aquarium safe silicone and attach a rock over the hole in the bottom to prevent any fish from being stuck.

After you sand it (should you need to) give it a good rinse before adding it to your tank.

Terracotta is porous and adds good housing for beneficial bacteria. I do not rinse or clean mine period. I will rotate them from time to time. The more they age and get covered with algae the better I like them. (although my Pleco doesn't let much algae grow in my tank).

Have fun

Ken

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
If you want to use broken pots, ask the store manager if they have any terra cotta that is broken that they are throwing away. Many times I've been able to pick them up for pennies or even free!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom