Flower pots in aquarium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'd like to put a flower pot (like the kind made of clay or terracotta) in my new tank, maybe something about 4-5 inches wide. I've heard mixed answers on what kind of pot to use though, and how to prepare it for the tank. Can someone help me?

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you use the red terra cotta kind, just give it a good rinse before putting it in the tank. Be sure to not use the glazed kind - firstly the glaze may dissolve, and secondly the porous terra cotta will house beneficial bacteria, but if it's glazed then it won't be porous

chevyguy8893

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've used the unglazed and non-painted clay pots in my tanks without any problems. Mine just got scrubbed with a mix of hot water and white vinegar, soaked in the same mix, and then rinsed really well.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I'm a big fan of using terracotta in the aquarium. No paints or glazes, just a plain terracotta pot or ornament. Sand any rough edges, rinse it off and place it in the tank.

If you feel you have fish that may be trapped in the hole at the bottom of the pot, you can use aquarium silicone and a rock to cover the hole. Let it cure for 48 hours (see directions on the silicone) and then add it to the tank.

The terracotta may bubble for a while since it is porous. Great for housing beneficial bacteria.

Ken

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmmmmm, I bought a pot that said terracotta on it, it is the classic color terracotta but is plastic, is this safe to use?

There are no fish in my tank as of yet, maybe this is a good thing though as maybe that pot isn't okay to use? I just saw terracotta and got it without thinking maybe it wasn't right

Attachments

Last edited:

Everythingzen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Should be ok, but it might float. Give it a good wash in hot water first, like any ornament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom