Flow rate in Betta tank

sairving

I've been working to try and get my 5 gallon low-tech tank more heavily planted. A few plants have been lost to melt that I added last week. Also, I started cutting my hard tap water with distilled water to get the plants adjusted. Then once they're grown in, slowly go back to just tap water. This was suggested by several people on the aquarium co-op forum.

The final piece though that clicked for me was the flow rate. When the tank was first set up, I was running a sponge and tiny HOB filter. It seemed to hit the right amount of flow for the plants and not agitate my previous betta. My current betta has issues with higher flow, especially with 2 filters running. The tiny HOB died on me too. I have a Finnex pure 7 HOB that I bought last week, but I can't seem to get it baffled enough. Currently, I'm running a sponge filter with a USB nano pump. So, I need to either get the HOB baffled (I tried with sponges) or come up with another idea.

Would something like this work? It has a way to redirect the water flow out of the sponge. I do have a tetra whisper 10 but since the tank sits next to my bed, it's just a bit too noisy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&linkId=48e5b340340b22c32f35cda699cf3fee&th=1

BigManAquatics

Might be able to try baffling the flow with a cut up piece of a water bottle. Problem i always had using sponges to do that was it was always either too much flow or far too little. Which is why i eventually switched to nothing but sponge fikters on most tanks.

Upvote 0

sairving

Might be able to try baffling the flow with a cut up piece of a water bottle. Problem i always had using sponges to do that was it was always either too much flow or far too little. Which is why i eventually switched to nothing but sponge fikters on most tanks.

I'll have to play around with it this week. My lfs sells the sponges with the outflow tubes that can be adjusted. I picked one up. I figured for $5 if it doesn't do what I want it to do, it's not a big deal.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I'll have to play around with it this week. My lfs sells the sponges with the outflow tubes that can be adjusted. I picked one up. I figured for $5 if it doesn't do what I want it to do, it's not a big deal.
Experimenting sure shouldn't hurt anything, especially when it is fairly cheap as well.

Upvote 0

sairving

Experimenting sure shouldn't hurt anything, especially when it is fairly cheap as well.

I really like the sponge filter but my Betta is not a fan of the flow coming out of the tube at all. You can direct the output tube any direction you want or towards the wall. I have to say, it cleared up my tank water within an hour.

If I had a Betta that didn't mind a slightly higher flow rate, I'd have no problem this switching to this particular sponge filter. Makes me wonder if I should swap out my course sponge filter for a fine sponge filter.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I really like the sponge filter but my Betta is not a fan of the flow coming out of the tube at all. You can direct the output tube any direction you want or towards the wall. I have to say, it cleared up my tank water within an hour.

If I had a Betta that didn't mind a slightly higher flow rate, I'd have no problem this switching to this particular sponge filter. Makes me wonder if I should swap out my course sponge filter for a fine sponge filter.
I wonder....i have had bettas that weren't thrilled with filter flow, but none of mine have ever had problems with the sponge filter flows.

Upvote 0

sairving

I wonder....i have had bettas that weren't thrilled with filter flow, but none of mine have ever had problems with the sponge filter flows.

I pointed the flow tube to the back of the tank and he seems to be happy again. Maybe because I had the tube sitting at the top of the water and it was blowing water across the surface of the tank. I now have it underwater fully. He was even resting on top of the sponge.

IMG_20210630_121952872.jpg

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I pointed the flow tube to the back of the tank and he seems to be happy again. Maybe because I had the tube sitting at the top of the water and it was blowing water across the surface of the tank. I now have it underwater fully. He was even resting on top of the sponge.

IMG_20210630_121952872.jpg
Fish be so weird sometimes...

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Filter flow issue
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Cichlidude