Flow buffer advice?

blackeyedalpha

Hi there! I’m brand new to this forum and relatively new to fish keeping and I had a question about a flow baffle!

I have 2 juvenile angel fish and one juvenile red tail shark(he’s got red pectoral fins so idk if he’s got some mutation or if he’s a rainbow hybrid). I have them in a 40 gallon breeder right now. I currently have a HOB filter that can filter a 40-75 gallon and I keep the flow up to the 75 level for a better filter rate and because I can keep better surface agitation in that section of the tank. I noticed that the angels were getting blown around a bit when they got to a certain spot so I made a baffle out of one of those soap carriers with holes in them and river rocks. It worked wonderfully to break the current for the angels! BUT I walked by the tank today and noticed that the dang shark was swimming around in it! I watched for a bit and noticed he was getting through the holes! He doesn’t seem to do it often, he can get back out, and he seems to love doing it, but I’m worried that he’ll get in there and be blown around in it too much and it’ll kill him eventually. I was thinking about adding some sort of mesh lining to the holes and along the top, but I was wondering what someone with experience recommends as far as materials. Can I buy aquarium safe glue at a Walmart or a LFS? What type of glue is recommended for a small project? Is there any type of mesh or nylon that will block the shark from getting in but still allow the water to move freely out of the baffle? Any recommendations help! Thanks!

Attachments

StarGirl

Im sure a piece of nylons would work for you. Have you tried just attaching a chunk of sponge to the waterfall? Maybe baffle it from there?

CTYankee79

I do the soap dish method with filter floss lying in it. Holes in the one I have are too small for fish to swim in and out of

faydout

I'm doing the cut up water bottle trick on my HOB's. This looks so much less ugly, having my HOB's all half torn apart so I can fit the baffle on. Agree with Stargirl. Some nylons or a filter media bag might help. I might try putting a single layer of polyfill sheeting in, under the stones.

blackeyedalpha

StarGirl said:
Im sure a piece of nylons would work for you. Have you tried just attaching a chunk of sponge to the waterfall? Maybe baffle it from there?
I tried the sponge trick before the soap carrier (it’s cheaper lol) but it just ended up spraying little bits of the current in five different directions and not breaking the current up like I wanted it too. I also would like to get this method a try too because if I can get it closed off right then it’ll keep the shark out of the filter in general, I think I’ll try your nylon or a mesh. Thanks!

Top Bottom