Flourite Made Water Into Chocolate Milk

Sammc1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been out of the fish business for a long while but am back again due to my friend no longer being able to care for her fish. I'm setting up a new tank and used flourite, which I rinsed thoroughly until the water ran relatively clear, however my water is completely opaque brown. Any tips other than filter floss to help clear this up? It's been over 24 hours at this point

Attachments

OP
Sammc1

Sammc1

Reaction score
david1978 said:
Wow that's bad. You could try a large water change. That would be the most direct route.
That's the plan for now. I'm leaving for the weekend tomorrow so it's going to end up sitting for a few days and if it's still even remotely this bad when I get back Sunday I'm going to start doing big water changes. (No fish or anything in there yet hust trying to clear the darn water!) Thanks!

shrimpforever777 said:
Is there anything alive in there?
Nothing at the moment just an empty tank and the flourite.

shrimpforever777

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sammc1 said:
Nothing at the moment just an empty tank and the flourite.
Okay, since you have no fish or anything I would try a huge waterchange maybe 75% then before adding fish check your water (but you were probably going to do that anyway.) And maybe try some activated carbon in the filter for good measure, it may already be in your cartridges though. That's just what I would do, you may want to wait for a second opinion but I think since you don't have anything living in there you don't have to worry about putting anything into shock.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is that one of the substrates you have to cap? It looks like when I used dirt from my yard and didn't cap it.

OP
Sammc1

Sammc1

Reaction score
shrimpforever777 said:
Okay, since you have no fish or anything I would try a huge waterchange maybe 75% then before adding fish check your water (but you were probably going to do that anyway.) And maybe try some activated carbon in the filter for good measure, it may already be in your cartridges though. That's just what I would do, you may want to wait for a second opinion but I think since you don't have anything living in there you don't have to worry about putting anything into shock.

Yeah no worries here about any shock to the fish. I'm gone for the weekend starting tomorrow so I'll see what happens but I'll probably start doing big water changes when I get back. Maybe rinse it off some more. Already have a carbon insert in the filter but I think I'll throw my backup filter on there too lol. Thanks for the help!

david1978 said:
Is that one of the substrates you have to cap? It looks like when I used dirt from my yard and didn't cap it.
Apparently it can be used as is without a cap but people seem to be fond of topping it with some sand or something a little less cloudy. Think I'll go for that route because it's a 36 gallon tank and I'd rather not have to worry about this every time I need to move something in there lol

shrimpforever777

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sammc1 said:
Yeah no worries here about any shock to the fish. I'm gone for the weekend starting tomorrow so I'll see what happens but I'll probably start doing big water changes when I get back. Maybe rinse it off some more. Already have a carbon insert in the filter but I think I'll throw my backup filter on there too lol. Thanks for the help!
No problem! I hope it gets better!

Bryangar

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dave i’m sure you know of flourite...Although it’s really messy, it doesn’t need a cap.

Honestly, I would redo everything. Drain the water and clean the substrate in small bunches. If you use filter floss, then you’ll probably go through a bunch to clear it up.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would use a diy water polisher made from some floss in a cut plastic bottle and a powerhead.

Ive heard that not rinsing flourite yields better results for some reason. Ive never messed with it myself.

New Threads