flourish use with carbon in filter

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by michael68, Apr 5, 2010.

1. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Quick question.I use flourish excel and comprehensive on my plants.I also run activated carbon in my filter.Does the carbon soak up these products?Nutter you probablly know the answer to this question.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

There is debate about the right answer to this. IMO it's not good to use activated carbon with liquid fertilisers. The logic to me is that activated carbon absorbs contaminants including heavy metals. To me that means that it will soak up iron & copper which can't be a good thing. Others think that activated carbon makes no difference. I used to use carbon in one of my planted tanks & noticed improved plant health when I stopped using it so that was enough for me to discontinue activated carbon permanantly. Carbon also soaks up ammonia which is the prefered nitrogen source for your plants.

My opinion is that it does soak up certain minerals so isn't good in planted tanks. You can of course still use it if you are removing medications or other contaminants. At the end of the day, if you want to use it & your plants are growing well, go ahead.

3. OP
    OP
    m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Thanks Nutter I knew you would have some logical answer.I tend to agree with you and am going to stop running carbon to see what happens.Do you think a 25% water change a week is enough whithout using carbon?I am also concerned about the health of my fish.

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Using or not using carbon won't effect how much water you need to change & won't effect the health of your fish unless there is some contaminant in your water that it is removing. You should actually end up with a more permanant bacteria population because your not throwing out the carbon every few weeks. I use sponges in it's place for extra biological filtration.

So long as the water changes you are doing now are sufficient then there should be no need for any change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice