Flourish question

1. Imtryingmybest

Imtryingmybest Valued Member Member

Hi, I've just started getting into planting my tanks, and i was wondering if it's okay to just use flourish? I'm a little weary of excel because i have some little shrimps and i don't want them to get poisoned or something. Also, the root tabs are a little spendy for me. If i absolutely have to, I'll use them but I'd rather just use flourish if i can. Right now i have a ludwigia repens floating (I've heard it can be a floating plant) and some sort of crypt, i dont remember exactly what kind. Any help would be appreciated!

2. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

Flourish is a brand I used when I started my couple of plants I have in my aquarium and I also had shrimp, they lived until my fish ate them and they were happy/healthy. also root tabs are really helpful but get the kind that last 6 months its more worth it but may be pricey

3. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

Whether you need root tabs or flourish depends on the types of plants you have, actually! I do believe any plants can benefit from both, but water column feeders (stem plants like your ludwigia) respond best to flourish, and root feeders (such as crypts) do better off root tabs.

I use both, but if I had to pick just ONE type of fert for my plants, I'd go with flourish. So to answer your question, yes, it's okay to use just flourish! Some plants need more, but you have some easy ones which should be fine.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I just want to add that I use Excel in my shrimp tank with no issues! Just don't overdose.

5. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Its the copper in some ferts that is harmful, right? Flourish is safe to use i have shrimp and snails in my tanks.

6. OP
    OP
    Imtryingmybest

Thanks guys! I'll just use flourish for now, and if they look like they need a little extra love I'll get the root tabs. If they need more love after that I'll start using excel!

7. FreshAquariums

sounds good :D but careful because if you use to much "fertilizers" in your tank it can alter ph and such.

8. OP
    OP
    Imtryingmybest

I'll remember that, thanks! :)

9. TexasDomer

I don't think root tabs or Flourish alter pH. CO2 can alter pH, but I'm not sure if Excel does the same. What else can it alter (i.e. what's the "such")?

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

It doesn't

11. FreshAquariums

I thought it does? hmm I must be mistaken as usual lol. well now I know I guess, but if I were to just pour 1g of CO2 booster in my tank the ph wouldn't fluctuate at all?

12. TexasDomer

Maybe if you really overdosed it would, but that would be really bad for your fish anyway.

13. FreshAquariums

Then im telling him/her not to overdose it :)

14. OP
    OP
    Imtryingmybest

Thanks you guys! I will definitely follow the directions on the bottle, don't worry ;)