Flourish Nitrogen...

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by Dom90, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

If I am constantly getting nitrates between 0-5 ppm, should I dose with Flourish Nitrogen? Doesnt it get dangerous if nitrate levels get too low?

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

I'd kill to have 0-5 nitrates.

However..there are a few questions. Do you have plants? Plants will lower nitrate levels and need nitrates to thrive. If the nitrates are zero or close to zero, then you may want to fertilize with Flourish Comprehensive.

What is your cleaning regiment. If you thoroughly clean EVERYTHING when you do your water change...that is not good. Change the water one day....maybe mechanical filtration a few days later....and decorations on another day. If you do everything from water changes, gravel vacuuming, decoration cleaning and filter cleaning at one time, your nitrates would be low and you risk the chance of going into a mini cycle.

3. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I have about 20 plants or so in my 75 gallon. I use Flourish comp, excel and root tabs. The thing is I have more plants than fish, so I have a pretty low bioload to begin with. Comp doesn't have as much as Nitrogen and Phosphorus because it assumes you are going to get these nutrients from fish waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

How do your plants look? Are they showing signs of deficiency?
    I think if you're reading 5ppm that would be ok, as that would be the net amount left over between fish ammonia and plants.
    If you're seeing signs of deficiency it would be more fun to add in fish then Flourish Nitrogen :)

5. chrt396

Sounds to me like your tank is very healthy. As CindiL said...as long as your plants are thriving...you are doing well,

6. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

image.jpg

Most of my tanks also have nitrate levels between 0-5ppm without dosing nitrogen. However instead of using seachem nitrogen I'd suggest picking up a bottle of spectracide stump remover. Don't let the name scare you its just granules of potassium nitrate. Costs less than $10 and will last for ages.

7. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I was actually thinking, hmm should I add a BN pleco to add to the bioload and up total ammpnia, therefore increasing nitrates. lol

8. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Just out of curiosity, what kind of water changes and how often do you do with nitrates low like that?
    Mine are staying around 6 or 7 with all my plants (I have an exact test) now and I'm trying to figure out if I should change my water change schedule and amount.

9. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I generally do a 25% wc every Saturday morning straight from the tap using the Aqueon water changer, and then dose Prime for the whole tank.

10. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

As far as my tanks go they're just very heavily planted and lightly stocked and I do 50% water changes every 10 days or so.

11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Maybe I need to cut down on water change amount or frequency then?

12. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I do every 2 weeks at 25% in my planted tanks, and this seems to maintain nitrates between 5 and 10. Water change frequency changes would depend on your KH and PH though, if you have low PH AND low KH, going longer could cause a PH crash. If you have a healthy PH and KH, youd be fine stretching it out to 2 weeks.

13. OP
    OP
    Dom90

My pH is around 8, I'll have to test KH again, forgot what it was. Tested 2 weeks ago lol.

14. Bluestreakfl

Well your PH is solid then, as long as your KH is at 4 or more every 2 weeks should be fine. My PH is always a solid 7.4, KH from the tap is 4, and GH is somewhere around 12.

15. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I keep putting drops till it changes color for GH/KH right?

16. Bluestreakfl

Yep, one drop, cap and shake, repeat until the color changes.

17. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Yea the instructions weren't too clear on the bottle so I might not have done it right.

18. chrt396

I do a 40% WC once a week...and the Rainbow fish seem to enjoy the new water. My nitrates run around 5 - 10. Also heavily planted. I DO have a larger stock of fish however. Pretty large bio-load,

19. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Are there any top or middle swimmers that have a high bioload? I would get a BN pleco but I have too many bottom dwellers as it is.

20. Bluestreakfl

You could get a group of male fancy guppies in assorted colors or the same colors, mine seem to stay in the mid to upper areas. Any livebearers in general have a large bioload for their size, I just suggest guppies for the variety of color variants out there. I have green cobra, tequila sunrise, and blue tux.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436393433.144825.jpg

You could also do a larger school of hatchet fish. They are almost solely top dwellers. Just make sure you have a tight lid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice