Flourish Excel

1. fishes were wishes Member Member

I just bought this product online meaning to get the regular flourish and I am a little bit scared to try it. I think it can be harmful to fish, especially if i add to much.

My twenty gallon has had some algae growing on the Java ferns that looks like fine black strands and I was hoping this would clear it up though. I am already using flourish tabs and API leaf zone (the bottles almost empty and I wanted to replace it).

I am not sure If i should use it or try to return it... Mostly because I worry compulsively about my fish. But I also want my plants to be really beautiful.

2. EJ_Fresh Well Known Member Member

I use Flourish Excel in my 29-gallon and have seen no ill-effects on my fish. Just follow the dosing instructions carefully. If you are worried, you can always start out dosing a little less than the recommended amount. I dose it approximately every other day. I have very minimal algae in my tank, which I would describe as moderately-planted. I planted the tank about two months ago (had artificial plants before that).

I also dose Flourish Comprehensive twice a week and have placed root tabs near my Amazon sword and my stem plants. I use a Finnex Planted+ and have it on for two 3.5 hour periods each day. That is working well for me right now, but each tank is unique.

3. fishes were wishes Member Member

The things that gets me is the dosing instructions it says to initially use 5ml pr 10 gallons then to use 5ml for 50 gallons daily or every other day.

DO NOT OVERDOSE!

Ok, so for a twenty gallon I need to use 2ml, everyday, or every other day? Why do I put more in initially?

Doesn't co2 rob the oxygen from the water?

4. EJ_Fresh Well Known Member Member

I know what you mean about the instructions! I actually never did the larger initial dose. I just started dosing the normal amount.

From my understanding, the frequency with which you dose it is up to you. Some people definitely do dose it everyday. Since I am pleased right now with the overall state of my tank (pretty solid growth, plants appear healthy, minimal algae), I am kind of sticking with what I have been doing. I am still learning all the ins and outs of dosing ferts myself.

Flourish Excel isn't actually CO2. It is "a source of bio-available carbon". Now, don't ask me to explain exactly what that means because I can't ;) I often pay close attention to @Jocelyn Adelman when she shares her knowledge about plants and fertilizers. She knows her stuff.

5. MudSkipper Member Member

It is safe for fish, inverts and plants. (there are a few exceptions, but they are minimal) I have been using Flourish Excel for over 5 Months and have had no ill effects, just do not overdose per the allowed threshold. (5x dose) I have seen people doing over that and not having their fish suffer for it. (O2 deprivation) The only real danger with Flourish Excel is if you significantly overdose is 10x or more. If you follow the directions you will have no problems.

6. fishes were wishes Member Member

SO the initial dose , five times more than the daily dose, is safe and necessary?

7. BReefer97 Member Member

Yes, I promise you it's safe. I've been dosing daily along with using flourish root tabs. I personally didn't dose the recommended initial dose, and I still don't. I go a little bit less than that, but that's to account for things like substrate and decor.

8. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

No, I would just use the regular dose. No need to do the loading dose.
    I dose excel daily in most my tanks, but I follow the recommended amount only, never used the loading dose.

Just realize that by adding excel you are doing two things..
    1) helping to kill off/keep algae at bay.
    2) you are asking your plants to step on the gas pedal a bit more. Just be sure your tank isn't empty... (need to be dosing a good fert)

9. DuaneV Member Member

I never used ANY kind of ferts in my 40 years keeping fish until about 5 weeks ago when I bought some Flourish, Excel and Trace on SUPER sale. Couldn't pass them up they were so cheap (500ml bottles, all 3 for under $20 bucks). I use it in 2 tanks as an experiment and have a ton of different plants in them (java ferns, anubias, amazon swords, banana plants, frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, java moss, dwarf water lilies, water wisteria, water hyacinth and a few others Im forgetting) and one is fairly low light, the other has 2 T5 bulbs on it. I have noticed NO different to this point what so ever. NOTHING has changed in either tank as far as growth is concerned. Nothing is bigger, no color change, and more isn't growing. Another few weeks and Im going to dump the stuff down the drain.

10. Shawn Menard Member Member

Any improvement or still the same??

11. DuaneV Member Member

Absolutely none. And actually (athough it MAY be a coincidence) I had quite a few plants have serious die-back all of the sudden around week 6 (a few leaves on each java, banana plants, dwarf water lettuce) so I completely stopped dosing. Not sure what happened but I know the old saying, "If it aint broke don't fix it" and I've had planted tanks my whole life and never had "issues" (other than normal stuff) so I guess Flourish, Excel and Trace aren't meant for low light, low tech plants. I just assumed it would help them a little.

12. fishes were wishes Member Member

I had a serious algae breakout after starting excel, so I increased the amount I use and washed the plants with h202. I killed off most of the algae. The plants seem to be growing faster. I think. Its not that noticable. But I've also had my banana lilly's leafs melting away in a very unusual fashion. I think its a toss up. I'm going to continue using it though, I think some of the plants are looking much greener and healthier.

13. DuaneV Member Member

All the dwarf water lettuce in our 10 gallon lost all their roots and many leaves. All of our banana plants melted back to one leaf. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but it sure was weird that all of the sudden stuff started dying. Good luck with the product.

14. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Excel doesn't really have super noticeable effects, because it is after all, a substitute and not the real thing. I would argue that excel, flourish, trace, etc are perfect for low tech tanks because they simply wouldn't cut it for plants that need more Co2 or a more complete fertilizer. Slow growing plants just don't show the effects because they are slow growing. I mostly use excel as an algaecide.

15. Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

Could you say the few exceptions?
    I have Angelfry in my tank.

16. fishes were wishes Member Member

i have heard that angles are sensitive to excel

17. Shawn Menard Member Member

Wow so what would you all do with this regiment . I have api Co2 booster, api leaf zone, sachem flourish, flourish with iron, and flourish excel. Is excel and Co2 booster the same. I'm a new b to plants and am struggling a little and I have some black algae. I need some help.. also I have Co2

18. Jocelyn Adelman Well Known Member Member

Excel and co2 booster are the same
    Leaf zone and flourish are relatively the same (both all in one ferts lacking most of the macros)
    Flourish iron is just iron, not flourish with iron.

What type of co2 are you running? What brand of lighting do you have? How long do you leave it on for? What size tank? What filtration do you have?

19. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Yes API CO2 booster and Excel are the same.

API leaf zone is rather useless if you have other ferts, it literally only contains potassium and iron. Since you already have flourish and iron, there's not much use for it, unless you want to increase the amounts of those things.

20. Shawn Menard Member Member

For lighting I have the finnex planted plus and for substrate I have 20lbs of carib sea eco complete and 30 lbs of seachem flourite. It's a 29 gallon. Breeding pair of kribs and a school of 8 bloodfin tetras. Co2 is just a small basic ista. I put it on to 8 bubbles per ten sec. I have a ton of plants. Don't know all the names as they are labeled assorted loose plants. But I know I have some sword, Nana and ambius, Ludwigia, and plenty more.

Attached Files: