Flourish Excel Vs Flourish Vs Advance

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm new to planted side of the hobby and was wondering what the difference between flourish, excel, and advance. Is it possible to just use one instead of all of them? Which one do you recommned

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They are very different, so they don't really replace each other.

Flourish: Regular old fertilizer with plant nutrients. Not my favorite fertilizer, it really lacks some important macronutrients, and is generally very un-concentrated. Mostly paying for water.

Flourish Excel: Not a fertilizer, just a diluted solution of a carbon containing chemical called glutaraldehyde. It's meant to work as a substitute for CO2, but it's not CO2, and I'd say is only 20-40% as effective as injected CO2 gas for easy plants. For harder plants it's really not effective at all. However, excel is a great algaecide, because it's toxic. Be careful not to overdose.

Flourish Advance: Phytohormones that stimulate growth. "Phytohormones are a group of naturally occurring compounds that play crucial roles in regulating plant growth in a wide range of developmental processes, including cell division, formation and activity of shoot meristems, induction of photosynthesis gene expression, leaf senescence, nutrient mobilization, seed germination, root growth and stress response."

Depending on your tank and plants, I would argue that none of these are necessary or that there are better options for a fertilizer source.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
OneLittleBubble said:
Can I just use excel because I want my lace plant to grow bigger? Should I get a fertilizer then?
Plants need three crucial things to grow: light, fertilizer, and CO2. Excel can fall under the CO2 category, but fertilizer is still needed. What plants do you have?

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was going to get some anubias, madagascar lace plants, and maybe something else. Not to sure since they are expensive at my LFS.

corbin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
-Mak- said:
They are very different, so they don't really replace each other.

Flourish: Regular old fertilizer with plant nutrients. Not my favorite fertilizer, it really lacks some important macronutrients, and is generally very un-concentrated. Mostly paying for water.

Flourish Excel: Not a fertilizer, just a diluted solution of a carbon containing chemical called glutaraldehyde. It's meant to work as a substitute for CO2, but it's not CO2, and I'd say is only 20-40% as effective as injected CO2 gas for easy plants. For harder plants it's really not effective at all. However, excel is a great algaecide, because it's toxic. Be careful not to overdose.

Flourish Advance: Phytohormones that stimulate growth. "Phytohormones are a group of naturally occurring compounds that play crucial roles in regulating plant growth in a wide range of developmental processes, including cell division, formation and activity of shoot meristems, induction of photosynthesis gene expression, leaf senescence, nutrient mobilization, seed germination, root growth and stress response."

Depending on your tank and plants, I would argue that none of these are necessary or that there are better options for a fertilizer source.

I have had had algae problems in the past would dosing flourish excel with water changes help prevent? can this harm my fish?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If your not injecting co2 i would get a bottle of ThriveC and do 1 pump per 10 gallons after your WC's to start and see how that works for u. Also you may need root tabs for the Lace plant if they are heavy root feeders like Amazon Swords. Good Luck!

Good lace plant video

corbin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kallililly1973 said:
If your not injecting co2 i would get a bottle of ThriveC and do 1 pump per 10 gallons after your WC's to start and see how that works for u. Also you may need root tabs for the Lace plant if they are heavy root feeders like Amazon Swords. Good Luck!
Does Thrive C prevent Algea growth?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom