Flourish Excel In A Shrimp Tank?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by River Gray, Apr 23, 2018.

1. River Gray

River GrayValued MemberMember

My hub bought some potted plants that say they need to have Excel added which I have but the last time I used it directly in a tank where I had shrimp some of the shrimp died. It could have just been coincidence or sensitivity to the water changes brought on by the plants and additive because I believe it says it's safe for inverts and cherries but I'm wary of adding it and this haven't added the pants yet to the tank because I don't want any more shrimp deaths for at least a little while please and thank you lol! So have you used flourish Excel in a shrimp tank without losing any shrimp (or Otos which there are two of, possibly to be joined by some guppy fry in a floating breed tank or the male guppy in the floater so he can't eat the fry, guppy or shrimp, just till he moves to his permanent home in the big tank when he is considered QT passed) ?

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I’ve used Fourish Excel with my 3 Amano Shrimp, and Otocinclus Catfish with zero problems. I overdosed over the recommended instructions too. That said, I’ve read about other people had deaths from its use, which after some time has convinced me to eventually stop using the product myself. Afterall, they are toxic chemicals, not fertilizer; the long term health of my pets are important.

In short, it’s up to you to decide the risk. Some people have had issues and some didn’t.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  3. LucifereneValued MemberMember

Mostly the issue with Excel came when dosage was upped from recommended amount. As long as you keep to regular level you should be fine.

If you want alternative, I think Dennerle or some other place produces organic carbon like Excel but safer for shrimps due to lack of glutaraldehyde(algaecide).

4. BKabinaValued MemberMember

I use excel in my tanks with cherry shrimp and haven’t had any problems with the shrimp or any of the fish. Be sure to properly dose as close to your water volume as you can and not tank size.
    Seachem dosing is based on water volume and not tank size.

5. OP
    OP
    River Gray

River GrayValued MemberMember

Thanks for all the tips I'll probably use it as little as possible and use a syringe to get as close to the roots as I can so it can be absorbed into the plants and root systems more than into the water. :)

6. tjanderWell Known MemberMember

No problem with Excel just don’t over dose. Also, from my experience once you start you almost have to keep it up or rush an algae explosion. I got hair algae real bad after not dosing for two weeks. Maybe you could slowly cut back. IDK

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice