Flourish Excel causing Vallisneria to melt?

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

IIs this like a super common thing? Cause It's not happening to me yet but if I were to lose all of my Vallisneria Gigantea from using this fertilizer I would be devastated. What other product could I use in its place if that were the case?

2. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

i dose with them all the time. i just dose less

3. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Mine have been in the 45g for at least a month now and they haven't died. They weren't in good shape when I got them and needed a lot of pruning but are producing new leaves, and I use Excel. The dwarf Sag I got at the same time (also in bad shape) did melt but has new shoots; also gets Excel. Who knows!

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Okay I read another post and someone mentioned thats what happened and I almost had a heart attack cause i just bought a bunch of vallisneria almost 2 months ago and I JUST bought a big bottle of Flourish Excel..which would have annoyed me greatly.

But I have a 65gal and I dose for about 50gal and things seem to be going okay so far :)

5. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I haven't used Excel for awhile, but I think it says on the bottle not to use it with Vals. But I also believe if used in smaller doses, and if you slowly increase over a few weeks or months to a full dose you will be fine.

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

I didn't see anything on the bottle saying it couldn't be used on Vals. Well I will keep all of that in mind and keep a close eye and adjust accordingly from there :)

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I used to have Vals, dosed with Excel and had no issues with melting. Just start with a lower dose and work your way up.