Flourish Excel causing Vallisneria to melt?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Crissandra331, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Crissandra331

Crissandra331Valued MemberMember

IIs this like a super common thing? Cause It's not happening to me yet but if I were to lose all of my Vallisneria Gigantea from using this fertilizer I would be devastated. What other product could I use in its place if that were the case?

2. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

i dose with them all the time. i just dose less

3. NCE12940

NCE12940Well Known MemberMember

Mine have been in the 45g for at least a month now and they haven't died. They weren't in good shape when I got them and needed a lot of pruning but are producing new leaves, and I use Excel. The dwarf Sag I got at the same time (also in bad shape) did melt but has new shoots; also gets Excel. Who knows!

4. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

Okay I read another post and someone mentioned thats what happened and I almost had a heart attack cause i just bought a bunch of vallisneria almost 2 months ago and I JUST bought a big bottle of Flourish Excel..which would have annoyed me greatly.

But I have a 65gal and I dose for about 50gal and things seem to be going okay so far :)

5. Marie1

Marie1Well Known MemberMember

I haven't used Excel for awhile, but I think it says on the bottle not to use it with Vals. But I also believe if used in smaller doses, and if you slowly increase over a few weeks or months to a full dose you will be fine.

6. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

I didn't see anything on the bottle saying it couldn't be used on Vals. Well I will keep all of that in mind and keep a close eye and adjust accordingly from there :)

7. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

I used to have Vals, dosed with Excel and had no issues with melting. Just start with a lower dose and work your way up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice