Flourish Excel as substitute for CO2

Discussion in 'Plant CO2' started by Helmsdeep, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Helmsdeep

Helmsdeep Valued Member Member

Has anyone used Flourish Excel as a substitute for CO2 in a planted aquarium? It is advertised as easier to use and cost effective, but is this true?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

I've never used it but they say it works. it probably depends on your plant load and your expectations

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore, Dan! :;toast

Liquid CO2 isn't really CO2 (as carbon dioxide is a gas at room temperature), but rather a compound that plants can break down to access the carbon they need. Pure gaseos CO2 is more effective because plants don't need to expend energy on breaking it down; they can use it in its natural state. I started with liquid CO2 supplements, but eventually switched to injected. It is expensive up front, but if you have to buy a $12 bottle every month or two, eventually it'll get expensive too. I pieced my system together and paid less than $250 for it. My plants have done so much better since I set it up and the algae has decreased as well.

4. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum!

To add to the above, as you have a 60G tank Excel will be far more expensive than DIY or injected CO2. In smaller tanks the opposite is true.

Good luck with your tank!

5. OP
    OP
    Helmsdeep

Helmsdeep Valued Member Member

Added algae control would be great. Thanks for the advice all!!

Dan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice