55 Gallon Tank Florida Man, Step Aside for the Florida Fishkeeper

cichlidL

I'm a junior in college studying marine science. As a side project, I keep and maintain a 55-gallon freshwater aquarium in the school's environmental science building. All of the critters in this tank are Florida natives. Current inhabitants of the tank:

- 2 American Flagfish
- 3 Metallic Shiners
- 1 Southern Studfish
- 1 Pugnose Minnow
- 1 Melanistic Eastern Mosquitofish
- 1 Blue Crayfish

I've been caring for these fellas for a little over a year now, with very few issues. No aggression, disease, or anything of the sort. What there has been is plenty of mischief, lots of spilled water, and a whole lot of questions from my classmates. I love teaching people about these fish and sharing my adventures with them. So here's a thread for that.

BigManAquatics

Particular interest from me for the flagfish!

cichlidL

Particular interest from me for the flagfish!
They're a joy. Anything in particular you wanna know about them?

BigManAquatics

They're a joy. Anything in particular you wanna know about them?
Mostly behavior between themselves and other fish. Really thinking hard on getting some.

cichlidL

Mostly behavior between themselves and other fish. Really thinking hard on getting some.
They're model citizens in this tank, but there are only 2 in a 55 gallon tank with lots of cover. They sometimes chase each other, and other times they swim around like mates. Odd, considering they're both males.

BigManAquatics

They're model citizens in this tank, but there are only 2 in a 55 gallon tank with lots of cover. They sometimes chase each other, and other times they swim around like mates. Odd, considering they're both males.
I know my LFS that sometimes has them, he suggested i do either a m/f or a m/f/f trio.

SotaAquatics

These type of threads need pictures! I always get sad when there aren't any!

cichlidL

These type of threads need pictures! I always get sad when there aren't any!
I'm working on it. My camera is stubbornly refusing to upload photos.

Corygal8857

The title of this thread brings me so much joy I can't even tell you! Looking forward to reading more and seeing the pics!

StarGirl

Following! I love Florida. From a Michigan Eskimo.

wrs2

As much as I am not a fan or Florida, I wanted to try something like this on a much smaller scale, so I would love to see how it turns out!

cichlidL

Some shenanigans happened while vacuuming the gravel yesterday. A metallic shiner swam into the siphon. I immediately yanked the siphon out so he wouldn’t get sucked up. Fish was fine, but I ended up spilling several gallons of aquarium water on a carpet floor in a public building.

I then had to run down the hall to the bathroom and steal an entire roll of paper towels.

BigManAquatics

Some shenanigans happened while vacuuming the gravel yesterday. A metallic shiner swam into the siphon. I immediately yanked the siphon out so he wouldn’t get sucked up. Fish was fine, but I ended up spilling several gallons of aquarium water on a carpet floor in a public building.

I then had to run down the hall to the bathroom and steal an entire roll of paper towels.
Been there done that....about due for it to happen again!

StarGirl

I overflowed my bucket a little yesterday too. :oops:

Ouse

Whenever I spill water, it is because I either pour water down the sink/toilet too quickly or because I flick the siphon to scare the cats away from the bucket.

Yesterday, when doing a water change, I spilled water for both reasons.

cichlidL

Much-anticipated photos! Top to bottom: American flagfish, bluefin killifish, melanistic eastern mosquitofish, metallic shiner, golden topminnow, and Florida blue crayfish.
53CB45CF-D963-4679-8CE7-ECF4EC9A56CD.jpeg
03E545F2-30E0-4A1F-AD99-E28FD20CE668.jpeg
A6A77530-C871-42FF-AF99-C253ADCFEDE3.jpeg
EE063569-C9B4-445B-81E8-CB51E0B78A7F.jpeg
5B56C35A-B467-43EB-92E7-CB5B633E1CD1.jpeg

Attachments

• F7FBF0B7-55E8-4188-A487-2732B7810180.jpeg
    F7FBF0B7-55E8-4188-A487-2732B7810180.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 24

BigManAquatics

That flagfish and studfish are gorgeous!

cichlidL

That flagfish and studfish are gorgeous!
Thanks! Their names are Cap and Rocket, respectively. Rocket has an awful jumping habit.

cichlidL

For anyone wondering what this crew eats, I feed a mix of Fluval Bug Bites, Hikari Seaweed Extreme, and Omega One Shrimp and Lobster pellets. They go absolutely nuts for this mix.

Chris1212

Awesome looking fish. I love the flagfish and my lfs usually has them in stock but I heard they can be nippy. Would they be a bad combo with my skirt tetras (long fin variety because that's what the kids wanted)?

jjjjh

I'm a junior in college studying marine science. As a side project, I keep and maintain a 55-gallon freshwater aquarium in the school's environmental science building. All of the critters in this tank are Florida natives. Current inhabitants of the tank:

- 2 American Flagfish
- 3 Metallic Shiners
- 1 Southern Studfish
- 1 Pugnose Minnow
- 1 Blue Crayfish

I've been caring for these fellas for a little over a year now, with very few issues. No aggression, disease, or anything of the sort. What there has been is plenty of mischief, lots of spilled water, and a whole lot of questions from my classmates. I love teaching people about these fish and sharing my adventures with them. So here's a thread for that.
Stop posting this without pictures! !

**OOPS sorry, Didn't see the pictures at first. My bad!! Can we see a picture of the whole tank??

Ouse

He did post pictures later on. Some people aren’t having them displayed recently.

Welcome to FishLore BTW.

Unknown9182

You should get some cypress darters or least-killifish, I have caught both from my lake in Florida and they are great to have.
Much-anticipated photos! Top to bottom: American flagfish, pugnose minnow, melanistic eastern mosquitofish, metallic shiner, southern studfish, and Florida blue crayfish.
53CB45CF-D963-4679-8CE7-ECF4EC9A56CD.jpeg
03E545F2-30E0-4A1F-AD99-E28FD20CE668.jpeg
A6A77530-C871-42FF-AF99-C253ADCFEDE3.jpeg
EE063569-C9B4-445B-81E8-CB51E0B78A7F.jpeg
5B56C35A-B467-43EB-92E7-CB5B633E1CD1.jpeg
I have a feeling that the second fish shown is a blue fin killifish but this is a female. The 5th one is a golden top minnow. I catch those fish commonly in my lake.

cichlidL

Awesome looking fish. I love the flagfish and my lfs usually has them in stock but I heard they can be nippy. Would they be a bad combo with my skirt tetras (long fin variety because that's what the kids wanted)?
My flagfish are super chill. However, a long-finned fish could be too tempting. I wouldn’t recommend it.
You should get some cypress darters or least-killifish, I have caught both from my lake in Florida and they are great to have.

I have a feeling that the second fish shown is a blue fin killifish but this is a female. The 5th one is a golden top minnow. I catch those fish commonly in my lake.
Huh. It really doesn’t look like other golden topminnows I’ve seen, but I’ll take your word for it. I used a really water-damaged black-and-white field guide to identify these guys and probably messed up.

Edit: totally a golden topminnow. Thanks!

Unknown9182

My flagfish are super chill. However, a long-finned fish could be too tempting. I wouldn’t recommend it.

Huh. It really doesn’t look like other golden topminnows I’ve seen, but I’ll take your word for it. I used a really water-damaged black-and-white field guide to identify these guys and probably messed up.
I had some trouble identifying those fish when i first caught them. The brighter the color of a golden top minnow means its healthier, if you can see the red that means its doing great. The differnece between the blue fin killifish and a pugnose minnow is the tail. The minnows have a scissor shaped tail while the killifish have a rounded tail.

cichlidL

I had some trouble identifying those fish when i first caught them. The brighter the color of a golden top minnow means its healthier, if you can see the red that means its doing great. The differnece between the blue fin killifish and a pugnose minnow is the tail. The minnows have a scissor shaped tail while the killifish have a rounded tail.
Thank you so much! I definitely want to put accurate information when I make the info sign for this tank later.
I actually love being wrong about fish because it means there’s still more to learn. Sounds weird, but it’s true

**OOPS sorry, Didn't see the pictures at first. My bad!! Can we see a picture of the whole tank??
Here’s the whole tank. Not much. I wanted it to be comfortable and not tacky, which I think I accomplished well enough.

Attachments

• 97BD64F4-B662-4091-974D-1740CC7223D4.jpeg
    97BD64F4-B662-4091-974D-1740CC7223D4.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 33

wrs2

The Mosquito fish is awesome! Look like a Molly with a guppies body. I've had the regular grey mosquito fish before. Evil little things haha! Is this version just as nippy as the regular basic ones?

cichlidL

The Mosquito fish is awesome! Look like a Molly with a guppies body. I've had the regular grey mosquito fish before. Evil little things haha! Is this version just as nippy as the regular basic ones?
He doesn't bother anyone.

Chris1212

Here’s the whole tank. Not much. I wanted it to be comfortable and not tacky, which I think I accomplished well enough.
The tank looks good. I know it is common but what is the long plant on the right? I like how it goes to and then across the surface.

cichlidL

The tank looks good. I know it is common but what is the long plant on the right? I like how it goes to and then across the surface.
I want to say Sagittaria, but it wasn't labeled as anything but "grass." :p

cichlidL

I would love to plant some hornwort and/or elodea. I've grown both and they provide fantastic cover and comfort.

Basil

Cool tank and cool project!
In high school (ahem, many years ago :D ), I took care of the native Chesapeake Bay tank in the biology classroom. Luckily it was a tile floor!
Even with the more efficient syphons of today (versus a piece of hose!) I still refer to water change days as “water change/clean hardwood floors day” lol!

cichlidL

Friday vibin’ Levi

5E0F2843-E531-4C53-8CBE-5E793AE9A083.jpeg

OxymocanthusLongstrinosus

- 2 American Flagfish
- 3 Metallic Shiners
- 1 Southern Studfish
- 1 Pugnose Minnow
- 1 Blue Crayfish

nice stocking. id get some darters if you can. dont let anyone devious lick the fish.

Ouse

devious lick
That trend... isn’t taken lightly at my school. :D Many soap dispensers have already been stolen.

OxymocanthusLongstrinosus

That trend... isn’t taken lightly at my school. :D Many soap dispensers have already been stolen.
all our bathrooms were stripped empty no ceiling no floors no mirrors nothing. half the buses lost their turbos also

cichlidL

All the Wet Floor signs at my school are vandalized.

cichlidL

Someone came up to me while I was feeding the tank and told me they think the fish are so cute and that watching them is better than therapy.

I’m so happy.

BigManAquatics

Someone came up to me while I was feeding the tank and told me they think the fish are so cute and that watching them is better than therapy.

I’m so happy.
Was at my LFS yesterday, was looking really hard at the flagfish...they all almost went home with me! Then i had to remind myself i need to setup the tanks in my garahe BEFORE buying fish.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Was at my LFS yesterday, was looking really hard at the flagfish...they all almost went home with me! Then i had to remind myself i need to setup the tanks in my garahe BEFORE buying fish.
Really?!? No! Just put them in a bowl. (My dad's words not mine, when I was at his house for the week, luckily the cochu's blue tetras were still there)

Random Great Thread

New Aquarium Journal Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom