Help Florida Heat...No A/C

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Folks,

I have had an interesting problem. I live in Orlando, FL, and the condenser on our air conditioner just died last night. Here in FL, summer starts in May, so we had a high of 91 today and the house is up to 86 degrees. Fortunately for the humans, we have a window AC unit upstairs so we should be OK for the night, but the fish are another story. They are down stairs in my daughter's room, and they can't camp out on our bedroom floor the way the kids can.

The tank is up to 83 degrees, and I would imagine that it would have the potential to get up to 86 or 87. I could do some water changes to bring the temperature down, but I don't want to shock them. I recently had a battle with Ich, so I have read that you can raise the temperature to deal with that, so I am assuming that there is not an immediate danger.

How high can the temperature safely go? Would you do water changes? If so, how quickly can the temperature change without shocking the fish? Are there any other ways to adjust the temperature down.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. My aquarium info is up-to-date, with the exception of temperature.

Have a great day!

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I live in FL too. It was soo hot when our power recently went out (so no air con anywhere in house) but after a couple days we had a generator (still no air thou) so I just had a fan blowing on it and it was uncovered. It def helped mine. I also did a water change not to long after we had the generator running (didn't have water without power) and I think that combined with the fan helped.

Just thought Id share my recent experience, check out the article Lucy posted.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in fl also and I know what you mean. Our power was out for several weeks once and I put an air stone, lid off and kept the tank out of the direct sunlight. Also had a fan going in the room but not directly on the tank. Everything was fine in our 40g. This stuff was run on a honda generator.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have found the item below to be a great help over the years. It's a battery powered air supply pump. It plugs into an outlet and when the power goes off the pump comes on. This will keep your tank circulating so your fish has oxygen.

Opening the lids or removing them will help. It might be a good idea to place some type of screen over the top to prevent the fish from jumping. Place a fan so that it blows OVER the top of the tank and directly on it.

If you're going to do a water change, the water really should be the same temperature as what is in the tank. You might get by with 1 or 2 degrees difference but you have to do it slowly. Sudden temperature changes can be harmful to your fish.

Something you may want to consider is a generator for the house. Hurricane season right around the corner

Your fish should be fine at 86 degrees for a while.

Best wishes.
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom