Florida flagfish questions

Discussion in 'Killifish' started by Huskiesandfishies, Jul 31, 2015.

1. H

Huskiesandfishies Valued Member Member

Was wondering how aggressive these fish are? or if the paradise fish would work better.. Considering them for a 75 gallon coldwater tank, but unsure if they fit the stock list.

Golden dojo loach
    Port hoplo catfish
    zebra danio
    golden white clouds

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They can be a little nasty with their own kind, but other fish the males will simply chase out of their territory. Some individuals can get nippy, but that might be if there aren't enough of their kind in the tank.

To be honest, the last time I kept these in a community tank was 1967. I normally put them in a species tank for breeding these days.

3. OP
    OP
    H

Ive seen both sides for both fish, the flagfish and paradise fish, being ok or very nasty. must depend on the particular fish you get

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would say they'd work better than paradises.

5. OP
    OP
    H

How many would I need to keep them occupied and at what ratio m:f?

6. OP
    OP
    H

anyone know?

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I would say 2-3 males and 2-3 females per male. The species is territorial, males protect a patch of plants usually and breed with the females when they come around. They are more vegetarian than your tropical Killifish, and are known to eat hair algae.

Why was a Killifish thread moved to the Cyprinids?

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's my fault, I moved the wrong thread I've moved it back.

9. OP
    OP
    H

No Idea, I'm hesitant to try them if they are aggressive though, dont want my bottom dwellers beat up if they get close. when I go to actually do it I may change my mind if I learn more later :) Thanks though! I know a ratio of 1:3 though like most gouramis etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice