Flooring For Non Litter Trained Rabbits

ah_fish_

Reaction score
My rabbit is not litter trained and I'm not sure what to use as flooring. I have foam pads with puppy pads below to catch anything, any suggestions.

Rojer Ramjet

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whelp, I'm not sure if this is applicable, but I used to raise rabbits for meat...

We used crates covered in sawdust - same kind we loved our horses stalls with.

Made it possible for the rabbits to eat their own poop (pica) which is really important for their long term health.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HenzPaitan said:
sawdust are very harmful to rabbits when inhaled
A guy who bred rabbits says otherwise

PeauMon

Reaction score
scarface said:
A guy who bred rabbits says otherwise
UHm, as a responsible rabbit owner I assure you that SAWDUST is very dangerous. Imagine if you inhale a lot of dust in your nose. I suggest you to use old newspaper or paper because it is very absorbent

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bred rabbits also, though as pets. There are CERTAIN wood shavings that are harmful but I believe that pine shavings are fine.
Note, the commercially available shavings from a feed store are probably safe (I'd ask). But actual sawdust from a saw is undoubtedly bad and messy.
I used to use either shavings or the recycled newspaper fluff that you buy in pet stores. Comes in a cube bag.
I built a plywood box with sides and a roof. It had an opening in the front so the bunny could get in but I put news papers I the bottom and the shavings or fluff on top. This was in a cage, so no big deal if anything fell through.

If you are indoors, get a plastic box that is about 4 or 5 inches tall and put newspaper in the bottom and your choice of filler on top. If they use it, it will absorb lots and last for 2 or so weeks between cleanings.

New Threads