Floating Sponge Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by RedLoredAmazon, Apr 19, 2017.

1. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

So this may be the silliest thing I have posted about so far on here. I have a sponge filter for my betta's tank. The silly thing keeps floating up. I have marbles on the top of it and that seems to be keeping it from floating all the way to the top. There still is room under the filter that Rusty keeps digging out. I'm a bit worried about his safety with making the filter unsteady and a marble bopping him on the head. Any advice on keeping a sponge filter from floating?

2. Lchi87

Lchi87ModeratorModerator Member

can you wrap a plant weight around it to weigh it down? Its weird that yours is floating, all mine have weighted bases so they sink on their own. :/

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Tie a rock to it?

4. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

I thought mine was weighted as it was advertised as such...but apparently not. Where can I find plant weights? I've never heard of them!

May have to try that one.

5. Lchi87

Amazon.com : Supa Big 10 Plant Weights : Pet Supplies

It comes in a roll and you can just snip off pieces with pliers and make them whatever size you need. :)

6. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

Thanks! So I have a follow up question now: can I bury the stand on the filter? Or is getting sand too close to the filter a no-no? I caught Rusty digging under it again today, I really just want to prevent him from digging and squishing himself. I really had no idea that bettas dig!

7. Lchi87

I mean I guess you could? But I'd worry about it interfering with the efficicency of the sponge. I could definitely see sand getting packed around it and causing a problem. I had no idea bettas could dig either! Can you block the base of it somehow with rocks or decor?

8. 2211Nighthawk

If the filter keeps floating, is there a way to tie it on a "leash" so that it wouldn't float to the top of the tank, but then your betta could still get under it if he likes it so much. Like a ballon or something? Hope that makes sence. And that is weird that he digs.

9. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

This is my first sponge filter so I'm wasn't sure if I could bury the base. I'll just leave it. It just bobs up to the top and I don't think it's very effective at the surface, plus it spatters water everywhere! I may using weights or I may try hot glueing some of those marbles to the base. Thanks all for your help!

10. 2211Nighthawk

Hot glue will eventually dissolve in water. I'd get silicon over hot glue. I don't remember what kind but uo don't have to get "aquarium" silicon, it's the ingredients.

11. OP
    OP
    RedLoredAmazon

I just found some aquarium silicon in my garage when I was cleaning it out! Huzzah! :)

12. 2211Nighthawk

Ha! Bonus!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice