Floating/shade Plants

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For the past week or so, I have been working on setting up an aquascape for my axolotl Salem. However, being the difficult person I am, I decided that I would just use a lot of floating plants to block out the bright new light setup I had created. I was well aware that Axolotls hate bright light but I figured all the duckweed, frogbit, and hornwort would be enough to block it out. Unfortunately, the new corner matten filter I just installed disagrees with my opinion and its flow rate is simply too high for any of my floating plants to do well. I have done everything in my power to reduce surface agitation to a reasonable level without it negatively affect my filtration and oxygenation. Now I'm just in a pickle. I either take down my lights and ALL the plants I have added, or I find some form of shade plant that can survive the flow of my Matten Filter. I timed it and it takes a single piece of duckweed almost 30 seconds to go from one end of my aquarium to the other. So now for my question, what plants (floating or nonfloating) would work in my cold, medium light setup and help me establish some shade in this thing???? Please help I'm desperate....

Attachments

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I take a length of airline hose that will loop from the top of where the water exits your filter and around the most turbulent area of the outflow. Then I cut about a centimeter down each end of the tube and slide them together, super glue that so it stays and tie it snugly to the outflow with fishing line. It'll stop the flow from shooting the length of the tank, allow your floaters to establish, will not impact your filtration and once the floaters fill in the space you don't know that airline loop is there at all... Heck my floaters usually eventually drown the floating safety loop and stand directly in the flow.

Here is a couple photos of my most recent with some dwarf water lettuce. These by no means are pretty just truth lol

1. All of the D. Water Lettuce I had a few weeks ago. It was placed in the airline loop (I use black tubing it's hard to see) and tied to the opposite side of the tank to get started.

2 & 3. A couple photos after I moved the loop to surround only the turbulent area of the tank. It has since entirely covered the surface with a space about 1"-1.5" where the outflow of both filters comes out.

4. Just an idea of how dark it can be before the floaters start layering up. I need to do another photo of currently in the tank but haven't.
5ddc7b40258310d707f7f40dfb508156.jpg
c21c0e4d7af99d58521c05729334e361.jpg
69103388993d7a9377f6e5162157a29a.jpg
0e22948b98ca06a7682ca31c35558e66.jpg

Caleb Smith

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sfsamm said:
I take a length of airline hose that will loop from the top of where the water exits your filter and around the most turbulent area of the outflow. Then I cut about a centimeter down each end of the tube and slide them together, super glue that so it stays and tie it snugly to the outflow with fishing line. It'll stop the flow from shooting the length of the tank, allow your floaters to establish, will not impact your filtration and once the floaters fill in the space you don't know that airline loop is there at all... Heck my floaters usually eventually drown the floating safety loop and stand directly in the flow.

Here is a couple photos of my most recent with some dwarf water lettuce. These by no means are pretty just truth lol

1. All of the D. Water Lettuce I had a few weeks ago. It was placed in the airline loop (I use black tubing it's hard to see) and tied to the opposite side of the tank to get started.

2 & 3. A couple photos after I moved the loop to surround only the turbulent area of the tank. It has since entirely covered the surface with a space about 1"-1.5" where the outflow of both filters comes out.

4. Just an idea of how dark it can be before the floaters start layering up. I need to do another photo of currently in the tank but haven't. View attachment 434034View attachment 434035View attachment 434036View attachment 434037
Wow! What a great idea and a ton of useful info. Thanks for your help.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Caleb Smith said:
Wow! What a great idea and a ton of useful info. Thanks for your help.
Glad I could help. I've tried to explain it before a few times and didn't have photos to show what I meant. Hopefully I can explain it better now lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom