Floating Riccia Is A Big Mess L. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Dori.anne, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Dori.anne

Dori.anneValued MemberMember

I wanted some floating plants in my tank and was told that riccia makes a good floating plant. It arrived in a little cup, and I used a little bit to tie on a rock, and then tried to float the rest in the water.

I soon realized the riccia kept migrating over to the filter (HOB), where it was getting pushed down and broken up and basically going everywhere in little pieces, sticking to everything (including the prefilter sponge). I tried bunching it back up a couple times and it would look good for a few minutes before it got involved with the filter again. I have the filter turned down to the lowest flow (which isn't very low. It's an AquaClear 20).

So was this just a bad idea? Is there anything I can do to keep it together, but still allow it to float?

If in fact it's just going to be too messy with my filter, does anyone have any other suggestion for good low-tech floating plant that won't make a big mess?

I'm trying to get the tank ready for some celestial pearl danios that I hope to pick up this weekend. I've read that they like having floating plants for cover.

Thanks!

2. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Thank you! This tank is at ny work, so I left it yesterday with the riccia flying everywhere. I'm interested (scared?) to see what it looks like today. I will probably have to try to net it all out of there.

I think I'll go for one of the others you mentioned. Maybe anacharis.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Floating plants do not like HOB filters with strong outputs. They will work fine with internal filters that operate on air flow, and may even be OK with canisters if the outflow does not splash, but HOB by design is going to knock down most floating plants.

5. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

Ugh, that sucks.

So when I first arrived at work yesterday I found the riccia had twisted itself into a long rope, attached to the mushroom ornament and continued along the top surface. It was pretty cool looking, and I figured I'd leave it. However, 10 minutes later it broke up again and looked like this:
    [​IMG]

It's actually pretty mesmerizing to watch as it floats around, regroups, forms different shapes, and breaks up again. It's like watching a lava lamp and kind of goes well with the alice in wonderland decor... but I think I need to remove it. I'm concerned it will freak out the CPDs I hope to get this weekend.
    Oh well!

6. Herkimur

HerkimurWell Known MemberMember

You can float Anubias Nana Petite.
    If you buy 3-4 of those and tie or entangle them into a ball they provide nice coverage from above for your fish.
    Most people tie Anubias to decor and never think of it as a floater.

It's a tough little plant that grows to 3 inches tall only but up to 5-6 inches long. Having a bunch of those will eventually cover your entire top.

7. OP
    OP
    Dori.anne

That does sound cool. True, I've never thought of floating anubias. However, I believe what a previous commenter said is correct, that with my HOB filter pretty much anything will just get pushed down. I anchored the anacharis into the substrate, but there was one small stem that came free so I just let it float. But all it does it get tangled up in another plant. Oh well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice