5 Gallon Tank Floating Plants

swimmingslowly

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Hi! I currently have some amazon frogbit floating in my 5 gal and I just ordered some red rooted floaters. I have a few questions.

My tank has yet to cycle, should I be using a fertilizer to feed them? I’ve heard it isn’t really necessary with floating plants.

Should I be removing the lid to my tank so they can get oxygen? I have a baffled filter for my Betta so there isn’t much surface agitation.

Last, I have a generic LED light on my aquarium, should I purchase a different one?

JakeXP

Reactions
I've not had frogbit, but I've got a canopy of salvinia auriculata in my betta tank and I've had duckweed and some other floating plants in the past. I'm not sure if frogbit specifically requires the extra nutrients from fertilisers, but in my experience floating plants thrive naturally off of consuming nitrates and in your case ammonia whilst cycling.

The LED light should be plenty enough for floating plants. I added a small cup to my betta tank with the standard LED light and it spread very quickly.

I'm not 100% certain with the lid, but I think it should be fine. I would however make sure there is still some space at the surface for the betta to come up for some air, so it may need a little area partitioned off or a weekly cull.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
4 years
Hi swimmingslowply,
I have zero experience with red root floaters but from what I have seen it’s not that different from frog bit?
To cycle a tank you add an ammonia source yes?
All plants including floating plants can use ammonia as a fertiliser. Its not important to worry about any plants and fertiliser at the moment.

Betta jump so the lid must stay on. Plants don’t need to have a lid removed to grow. I suspect there is a small gap for air ?

Any light will grow frog bit. Better lights grow everything better. It’s not as important as cycling the tank at the moment.

New Threads