Floating Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by natureandwildlife, May 16, 2019.

1. natureandwildlife

natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

I have never kept a live plant in my aquarium but I really like the look of plants such as Red Root Floaters/water lettuce. I would like something that is:
    -Very easy to care for. Please list their needs.
    -Will absorb a lot of nitrates.
    -Where can I find it? I prefer pet stores ad its easier for me.

As I said, I really like Red Root Floaters but I don't know their needs or where to get them.

Thank you!

2. RyanC14

RyanC14Valued MemberMember

I personally recommend frogbit. You can also use hornwort as a floating plant. Floating plants will quickly take over the surface of a tank with a strong light, they will do just fine without strong lighting though.

3. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Floating plants change the look of a tank, as in they make it darker. They provide shade for the fish to hide under but if you want to have plants at another time it will always be plants that need low light. Also, plants that are small, like frogbit and duckweed, are very difficult to contain and reproduce easily and quickly. For red root floaters, you can probably get them at a LFS if not, check craigslist or see if there is a local fish/plant club in the area. Otherwise there is always eBay and Etsy.

4. OP
    OP
    natureandwildlife

natureandwildlifeValued MemberMember

Does Frogbit or Red Root Floater need any sort of food? (Nutrients that need to be added into the water?)

5. RyanC14

RyanC14Valued MemberMember

6. JAMarlow

JAMarlowValued MemberMember

Red Root Floaters, like many floaters, are sensitive to water movement and having moisture on their leaves. Just an FYI. A great way to help them along is to make a floating corral with a length of air tubing. My Red Root Floaters flourished once I did that.

As for soaking up nitrates, they definitely did that. The also pull a lot of other nutrients out of the water, so make sure you keep up on your fertilizing regimen, otherwise your other plants will begin to show nutrient deficiencies.

I really liked the root system and the look of the Red Root Floaters. I would still have them, but I lost them in a move (tried to get them through it, but too much water splashed onto the top of their leaves. They then melted away).

At the moment I have floating Bacopa Australis. I like the look of it, and because it's a submerged plant I don't have to worry about water-on-the-leaves issue. They aren't as fast growing as the floaters, but have still done a good job in keeping down the nitrates. Shrimp and fry love them, too.