Floating Plants?

Aegnis

I recently added an almond leaf to my 8.5 planted tank, and it's floating on the top of the water, creating a nice bit of shade in the tank. My betta absolutely loves it! He likes to sit in the shady parts and rest before exploring the rest of the tank now.

Since my betta seems to love these shaded areas, I was wondering if there are any good, small, floating plants that could work in this same way? I have experience with easier plants (java moss, moss balls, anubias, etc.), but nothing too extreme.

Demeter

Water wisteria and water sprite both are good floaters. Horn wort is iffy, sometimes it grows like a week other times the needles drop and make a mess.

Mary765

Anacharis is easy care, floating and looks great in the light (like a sunny dappled forest in spring)

Aegnis

I'll look into those! Thanks for the responses!

EbiAqua

Amazon frogbit is my personal favorite, it looks like tiny lily pads. My betta loves it.

Aegnis

I'm a huge fan of the frogbit and the water lettuce -- just what I had in mind. Where do you guys get yours? Are they easy to find in LPS? I don't live near any large petstores, so I'm hoping I can find them in the stores near me or online (if that's an option).

EbiAqua

I'm a huge fan of the frogbit and the water lettuce -- just what I had in mind. Where do you guys get yours? Are they easy to find in LPS? I don't live near any large petstores, so I'm hoping I can find them in the stores near me or online (if that's an option).

I had to order mine online, I see it often on eBay and Amazon. I occasionally sell it but it is too cold for me to ship at the moment.

Aegnis

I had to order mine online, I see it often on eBay and Amazon. I occasionally sell it but it is too cold for me to ship at the moment.

I'll see if I can order it if I can't find it near me. Thank you guys so much!

Niki Rose

I also ordered mine online & have even had success ordering them off ebay, I prefer to use water lettuce for smaller tanks as frogbit's roots grow quite long and will need trimming.

Farlowella Fella

Salvinia is another easy one. I have recently been posting ads on craigslist/KijijI and having great success finding local aquarists who are willing to trade/share.

Aegnis

Salvinia is another easy one. I have recently been posting ads on craigslist/KijijI and having great success finding local aquarists who are willing to trade/share.

I love the salvinia a lot! I found a store that has them in stock, and they seem like a good way to go since I can't find any dwarf lettuce in the stores and I don't want to have to trim the frogbit roots too often. From what I can tell, they have shorter roots?

Farlowella Fella

Actually, they don't have roots at all! What hangs below are modified leaves, but I digress. Yes, they are much shorter than frogbit roots.

Aegnis

Actually, they don't have roots at all! What hangs below are modified leaves, but I digress. Yes, they are much shorter than frogbit roots.

Wonderful, thanks! I'll be picking up some salvinia this weekend!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fishstery
Replies
Views
Chenpoes
Replies
Views
ProudPapa

New Plant Threads