Floating Plants

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shipping
$4.00 USPS First Class (1-3 business days)

Amazon Frogbit - 4 plants 3+ leaves $1
Photo Jun 29, 7 48 44 PM.jpg

Dwarf Water Lettuce - 4 plants 4+ leaves $1
Photo Jul 08, 11 45 19 AM.jpg

ceratopteris thalictroides
ceratopteris cornuta

Hornwort 6" stem - $.50
DSC00900.jpg

Every now and then I need to trI'm and do one off bags of my excess plants to so keep an eye out for those for some bulk quantities of stuff.

Castiel*

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is it priced per plant or is it all sold in one bundle per plant? I'll take them all possibly.

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bundles of plants. Just enough to get started usually, since they grow fast and multiply quickly under good conditions. If you need a lot, I can do a bag rather than the ala carte pricing above.

Castiel*

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pm me a total of what you want for all the ones you listed plus shipping yo 56007

njordr

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wtb

4x frogbit
3x dwarf lettuce

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Which of these is the easiest to maintain, and what lighting do they require?

Looking for a really good floater for my 20 gallon long betta community tank with a Beamswork EA 80, and might take some trimmings from that for a possible future 10-15 gallon crayfish tank with a basic LED starter hood.

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JLeeM said:
Which of these is the easiest to maintain, and what lighting do they require?

Looking for a really good floater for my 20 gallon long betta community tank with a Beamswork EA 80, and might take some trimmings from that for a possible future 10-15 gallon crayfish tank with a basic LED starter hood.
Personally, I like the Amazon Frogbit, reminds me of tiny lily pads. But Dwarf Water Lettuce is what most ppl order and it also seems to be the easiest to maintain. It's really great for bettas. The roots get quite long.

If long roots are not your thing, then the Red Root Floaters are an option, they also add a nice dash of color to the tank.

I don't think the crayfish will get much out of floating plants, though I've heard they eat plants so maybe that'd be why you want floating plants, so they can't eat em.

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishRFriendz said:
Personally, I like the Amazon Frogbit, reminds me of tiny lily pads. But Dwarf Water Lettuce is what most ppl order and it also seems to be the easiest to maintain. It's really great for bettas. The roots get quite long
How long are the frogbit roots?
FishRFriendz said:
If long roots are not your thing, then the Red Root Floaters are an option, they also add a nice dash of color to the tank.
Are their roots shorter than they look in the picture?
FishRFriendz said:
I don't think the crayfish will get much out of floating plants, though I've heard they eat plants so maybe that'd be why you want floating plants, so they can't eat em.
Exactly. Want them more than anything to block some light for the crayfish, but don't know if they'll grow all that well under a basic LED starter hood.

What can you tell me about hornwort? It doesn't look like it grows very thick?

OP
FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JLeeM said:
How long are the frogbit roots?

Are their roots shorter than they look in the picture?

Exactly. Want them more than anything to block some light for the crayfish, but don't know if they'll grow all that well under a basic LED starter hood.

What can you tell me about hornwort? It doesn't look like it grows very thick?
Amazon Frogbit roots get as long as Dwarf Water Lettuce.

The Red Root Floater's roots get as long as what is pictured. You don't see long AFB or DWL roots in my photos because I trI'm and or remove the larger plants from this tank when they get long, it's only a 5 gallon tank I use for photos/display(my large tanks are a hot mess of plants. Also I trI'm roots for shipping, so you don't get a complete mess when it arrives, the plants tend to drop their feathery roots when stressed.

Hornwort floats, but isn't really great at competing with other floating plants to be at the top. It doesn't like to be anchored and if it is then the anchored part will just die off to let the rest of the plant float away. It isn't thick at first, but in a week it goes from 6 inches to about 12-18, even tho it's growing under the other floating plants. I remove about 12-18 inches of nitrates every week from the 5 gallon that gets RAOK'd along with Hornwort from other tanks about once a month . I only really offer it for sale in case ppl want to include it in their other plant orders.

The nice thing about floating plants is that they're naturally close to the light source which helps if you have a low power light. So even your basic LED hood will be ok.

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FishRFriendz said:
Amazon Frogbit roots get as long as Dwarf Water Lettuce.

The Red Root Floater's roots get as long as what is pictured. You don't see long AFB or DWL roots in my photos because I trI'm and or remove the larger plants from this tank when they get long, it's only a 5 gallon tank I use for photos/display(my large tanks are a hot mess of plants. Also I trI'm roots for shipping, so you don't get a complete mess when it arrives, the plants tend to drop their feathery roots when stressed.

Hornwort floats, but isn't really great at competing with other floating plants to be at the top. It doesn't like to be anchored and if it is then the anchored part will just die off to let the rest of the plant float away. It isn't thick at first, but in a week it goes from 6 inches to about 12-18, even tho it's growing under the other floating plants. I remove about 12-18 inches of nitrates every week from the 5 gallon that gets RAOK'd along with Hornwort from other tanks about once a month . I only really offer it for sale in case ppl want to include it in their other plant orders.

The nice thing about floating plants is that they're naturally close to the light source which helps if you have a low power light. So even your basic LED hood will be ok.
Okay. What's your preferred payment? PayPal? I'll have to make an account if si, and get back with you maybe through PM?

Bailey Oswald

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Interested in buying the DWL, but may take me a little time to get the money. Will these be available for long?

New Threads