Floating Plants Vs. High Light Plants

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by katiegee, Apr 19, 2019.

1. katiegeeNew MemberMember

Hello all! I am so sorry if this is a question that has been asked before, but I am really coming up empty on my searches.

I have a 20 gallon long with a Finnex 24/7+. I am using a custom 24 hour cycle to include a longer bright/full-spectrum period during the day as I've read that the default 24/7 cycle does not provide enough meaningful lighting. Last night, I purchased some high light plants to add to the tank, completely forgetting about the floating plants (salvinia) already covering about 80% of the top of the tank. My rasboras, shrimp and betta love the salvinia, and I love how they and the new plants look in the tank together, so I'd really rather not have to get rid of either.

So, my question: is there a way to keep floating plants while also keeping high light plants happy? I already do some thinning of the salvinia, but is there anything else I can be doing to ensure the new high light plants are receiving the light they need? Should I purchase an additional light, or change my lighting system all together?

Additional information: currently low-tech, but our co2 system will arrive sometime next week. Substrate is fluorite sand, using root tabs and liquid ferts.

Thank you for reading!

2. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

A lot of people make "corrals" for their floating plants, using airline tubing make a little ring, and then either keep the salvinia inside the ring or outside of it to keep it contained and away from the places you need the high light to go through

3. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

As a direct demo, check out "Foo the Flowerhorn's YouTube channel. He frequently uses "corrals" on the surface of his tanks.

Usually most floating plants are pretty resilient when exposed to close, high light, except maybe Water Sprite, which MAY get leaf burn. Salvinia MAY not though...not 100% sure here....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019