Floating plants question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, Ive been reading around, and find that fish tend to like floating plants a lot. Now I'm really not sure what floating plants are. Do they just kind of float randomly around the water or on the surface? Do powere filters disturb them a lot? Does food get stuck in them a lot?

Thanks!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
najas grass (guppy grass), the various types of moss, java moss, willow moss, christmas moss, etc, hornwort and elodea/anacharis can all be used as floating plants. Usually they end up settling either on the bottom, or if they float they'll wedge themselves into a corner or on the side with the least amount of current.

I prefer to plant things like anacharis and just let them grow like crazy, if you let them keep growing they'll get to the surface of the tank then start growing parallel to the water level.

I've never had a real issue with food getting stuck in them, the fish will go in there and pick it out.

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As far as I understand this (English is my second language) the terms "floating plant" usually refers to plants that float adrift in the water column (e.g. anacharis). I use the terns "surface floating plant" to refer to plants that stay at surface level (e.g. duckweed).

It's a good idea to search for information on plants you want to keep so you don't waste your money. Some floating plants do well in low light while others require the strongest lighting.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%