Floating Plants For Hard Water

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used to have a beautiful covering of floating red rooters. Used to... Lately they have been dying back. the only change has been that i have increased the gH and kH because it is a shrimp tank. I can't find specific info on the ideal gH/kH for red rooters, but i am guessing this is why they aren't looking so hot anymore.

Are there other floating plants that do better in harder water? I currently have duckweed in the tank as well, but i don't like it and would prefer to add some larger floating plants.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have rock hard water... Water lettuce did fairly well for me, and now I am trying salvinia minima. I just got it from @Koiman and I really like it!! If you want nice plants I highly recommend contacting him!!

Rylan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Pennywort can be floated as well. I just bought some for my 10 gallon a few weeks ago and it’s growing extremely well (getting new leaves daily) in my hard water just as I had read it’s supposed to.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I have rock hard water... Water lettuce did fairly well for me, and now I am trying salvinia minima. I just got it from @Koiman and I really like it!! If you want nice plants I highly recommend contacting him!!
Thanks! I will check those out. The long roots on the salvinia minima look great. My shrimpies love hanging out in the floating plants so i bet they would love those roots.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jellibeen said:
Thanks! I will check those out. The long roots on the salvinia minima look great. My shrimpies love hanging out in the floating plants so i bet they would love those roots.
They do yes!!! I also have some frogbit I am trying! It doesn't seem to be doing really great but it might be because I have to much surface agitation!! I floated hornwort too but it always does really good at first and then slowly melts away. I kinda think my tank is too warm for it. It did amazing in my gold fish pond but yea.. that was colder water!

Rylan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Can’t speak about the hornwort, the idea of it shedding in my tank was too much for my ocd lol.

But the Brazilian Pennywort has done well so far. I have some water lettuce as well. The Betta really likes them both. I haven’t worried about the temperature since I think it does come from warmer waters and even likes hard water. it’s supposed to grow better in it than soft

Tsin21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also have hardwater and my frogbits are multiplying like crazy that I have to sell or throw out every few weeks.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
They do yes!!! I also have some frogbit I am trying! It doesn't seem to be doing really great but it might be because I have to much surface agitation!! I floated hornwort too but it always does really good at first and then slowly melts away. I kinda think my tank is too warm for it. It did amazing in my gold fish pond but yea.. that was colder water!
What temperature was your goldfish pond at? My shrimp tank is around 72-74.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jellibeen said:
What temperature was your goldfish pond at? My shrimp tank is around 72-74.
Um it varied! On hot days it was warm on cold days it was cold!!lol but I bet hornwort would do ok at that temp!

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started with red root floaters and they did very well. I later added some salvinia and they did so well that they started to crowd out the red root floaters. Then I accidentally added a couple leaves of duckweed in with some shrimp. Long story short, the duckweed crowded out both of them. Red root floaters gone, salvinia reduced by 95%. I tossed the salvinia as the duckweed was hiding in it (I have a backup supply in another tank) After about a three week eradication effort, the duckweed is pretty much gone. (still check twice a week) I found one single red root floater and a tiny hunk of riccia fluitans had survived. Both are now growing like crazy.

Authmal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Jellibeen said:
I used to have a beautiful covering of floating red rooters. Used to... Lately they have been dying back. the only change has been that i have increased the gH and kH because it is a shrimp tank. I can't find specific info on the ideal gH/kH for red rooters, but i am guessing this is why they aren't looking so hot anymore.

Are there other floating plants that do better in harder water? I currently have duckweed in the tank as well, but i don't like it and would prefer to add some larger floating plants.
How's the lighting? What kind? If it's any kind of bulb more than ~10-12 months old, you're probably needing to replace them because the output wavelengths have changed. LEDs last longer, but I'm not sure what a real world estimate is on them. Years, probably, and of course that will be impacted by the length of your photo period.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's an Finnex Planted+ LED that i have had for less than a year.

I wonder if the duckweed is most of the problem? I should commit a hefty chunk of time I am also suspicious of the water hardness because they all died in my Mom's tank, which has very hard water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom