Question Floating plants and sponge filters

Willj626

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
134
Location
Finger Lakes NY
Experience
5 years
I have never been able to successfully grow floating plants besides 2 heads of water lettuce- all my other plants in my tanks seem to take off and grow quite nicely, floating plants come to my tanks and just die. I've been trying to figure out why this might be and my best guess is that it is because all of my tanks run sponge filters and the bubbles disturb the surface enough and get the leaves wet constantly that the plants die and are unable to establish themselves and propagate. Does anyone else have trouble growing floating plants with sponge filters or am I drawing the wrong conclusion?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Willj626

Willj626

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
134
Location
Finger Lakes NY
Experience
5 years
LadfromLondon said:
You could be right but my frogbit seems to do okay with my sponge filter
Perhaps my sponge filter is unusually "aggressive" with its bubbles, or maybe there's some need I've failed to realize in their care.
 

Maryellen

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
58
Location
Arizona
Experience
Just started
Willj626 said:
Perhaps my sponge filter is unusually "aggressive" with its bubbles, or maybe there's some need I've failed to realize in their care.
I have the same problem with my sponge filter and frogbit. I ended up blocking off a section of the tank by stacking several plastic straws across the tank (yes, straws LOL ) to stop the flow. It leaves that area pretty still, and my frogbit has done better sense.
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
826
Reaction score
699
Willj626 said:
I have never been able to successfully grow floating plants besides 2 heads of water lettuce- all my other plants in my tanks seem to take off and grow quite nicely, floating plants come to my tanks and just die. I've been trying to figure out why this might be and my best guess is that it is because all of my tanks run sponge filters and the bubbles disturb the surface enough and get the leaves wet constantly that the plants die and are unable to establish themselves and propagate. Does anyone else have trouble growing floating plants with sponge filters or am I drawing the wrong conclusion?
I have dwarf water lettuce in my tanks with sponge filters. So far so good
 

deadhead

Active Member
Member
Messages
227
Reaction score
106
Location
Denver, Colorado
I just put some frogbit in my tank 2 weeks ago for my hatchetfish. It's noticeable how much they appreciate it. The frogbit more than doubled in that short time. I made a ring out of airline tubing. You can double or even triple the amount of airline tubing using zip ties.

I haven't researched the plant a whole lot. Is it true they don't do well when the top of leaves get wet?
 

Attachments

Maryellen

Active Member
Member
Messages
96
Reaction score
58
Location
Arizona
Experience
Just started
deadhead said:
I just put some frogbit in my tank 2 weeks ago for my hatchetfish. It's noticeable how much they appreciate it. The frogbit more than doubled in that short time. I made a ring out of airline tubing. You can double or even triple the amount of airline tubing using zip ties.

I haven't researched the plant a whole lot. Is it true they don't do well when the top of leaves get wet?
If mine even get a little bit wet, the leaves tend to die.
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
826
Reaction score
699
I use deli lids to baffle the bubbles. No splatters of hard water on light plus helps put slow even mellow movement on surface
20200710_195553.jpg


20200710_195902.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Willj626

Willj626

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
134
Location
Finger Lakes NY
Experience
5 years
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I use deli lids to baffle the bubbles. No splatters of hard water on light plus helps put slow even mellow movement on surface
20200710_195553.jpg


20200710_195902.jpg
Thats genius!!! I'm going to try that!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Willj626

Willj626

Active Member
Member
Messages
221
Reaction score
134
Location
Finger Lakes NY
Experience
5 years
SanDiegoRedneck said:
And I use the containers for planters in my fish tanks. 4 Planters plus 4 baffles for $3 at walmart
I also just noticed that you also have an aquarium co-op sponge filter! Love it!
 

CindyVBPets

Active Member
Member
Messages
185
Reaction score
96
Location
Florida
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I use deli lids to baffle the bubbles. No splatters of hard water on light plus helps put slow even mellow movement on surface
20200710_195553.jpg


20200710_195902.jpg
OMG that deli lid is a brilliant idea!
 

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Member
Messages
826
Reaction score
699
Willj626 said:
I also just noticed that you also have an aquarium co-op sponge filter! Love it!
I do but honestly I'm getting rid of. With shrimp I want more sponge space and not coarse.

But I like them for betta. But not shrimp or fry.
 

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,596
Reaction score
8,032
Location
Michigan
Experience
More than 10 years
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I have such hard water the bubble splatters were leaving calcium residue on my lights so I need to fully block bubbles
Yeah they do on mine too.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
76
Guests online
2,250
Total visitors
2,326

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom