Floating Plants And African Cichlid Tank

1. t

tin pickles Valued Member Member

So I recently acquired a floating plant that I identified as water Spangles. I had isolated these plants for a week before putting in my tank because they came from a tank that was neglected and had a diseased fish. I dunked in a weak bleach solution and rinsed and kept in a container.

So, I had wanted to put some in my African cichlid tank, home to a single fish. And also some in my mini pond I have yet to build lol.

Now I'm wondering about my cichlid eating these plants. Either on purpose or accident, because his pellets float and are all in the plant right now. I'm curious because *after* I put the plants in I read about their invasive and noxious status.

Surely these won't harm my fish if he eats some? Am I being paranoid?

I'm including a pic in case my id is wrong. I didn't do too much research but these looked like the water Spangles photo.[​IMG]

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I doubt that it will hurt them. Mine will eat Leaf Lettuce, green beans, all kinds of stuff.

3. OP
    OP
    t

Green beans and lettuce aren't noxious plants lol.

4. Bizarro252

Bizarro252 Well Known Member Member

'noxious' doesn't mean they are poisonous, just means they are labeled as disruptive to environments that are not their native habitat (aka noxious weeds). Not sure if thats what you were asking though :)

5. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

A noxious plant is just one that takes over and is hard to get rid of, it's not poisonous.

6. OP
    OP
    t

Ok. That makes sense. I googled noxious to makes sure I understood and the definition was harmful, poisonous, unpleasant.

I didn't think they would be selling plants that would harm your fish. These are considered incredibly invasive in the wild and can even grow so thick they will suffocate the oxygen from the water and kill fish! But I'd hope in a controlled tank, you can monitor the spread and remove as necessary.

7. OP
    OP
    t

Good to know because I love this cichlid and would not forgive myself if he died. I probably won't keep them in this tank for long, idk if I like the way they look. But I will definitely put some in my pond that I'm hopefully going to set up tomorrow.