Floating Plant suggestion

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have two planted aquariums, one is a 55 gallon community aquarium and the other is a 10 gallon cherry shrimp/Endler. My 55 gallon has a spray bar attached to my Fluval 407 canister filter and the output is pointed slightly less than parallel to the surface of the water. I also have a HOB filter in that one. My 10 gallon has a sponge filter and a HOB filter. I mention my filters, as the water flow may be important to your answers.

I have Endler, Molly, and cherry shrimp colonies in my two tanks, and I've read about the benefits of floating plants, not just for keeping your nitrates and other parameters in check, but also as food and hiding spots for your baby fish/shrimp. I've been trying to look into a good one for my two tanks. Both tanks have a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 light, which gives medium light on average throughout the 24 hour cycle. I keep the water fairly close to the lid because I like how it looks, and it keeps my mystery snails from laying eggs.

I've looked into a few options so far. I really like the look of duckweed, but I hear it's a pain in the ass, gets everywhere, and is impossible to get rid off. Except that I also hear that Mollies like to chow down on it, so I have a feeling it might not last long enough to get established. Another top option I've found is Amason Frogbit. It looks really cool and doesn't propagate too quickly, but I worry that my HOB filters or subtle current from my spray bar will keep it from thriving. I've heard currents cause the roots to tangle and break off, and since my bar is almost parallel to my surface, it would be blowing right on the roots. Water lettuce looks good too, but I think it grows too tall out of the water for my lids, so I'd have to lower the water if I did that, which I don't really want to do. Finally, hornwort seems an option, but I don't like how it grows in a giant floating mass under the surface. I'd rather keep floating plants on the surface and not anything much more than roots underwater.

Any thoughts on those options or other suggestions? I'd rather just buy one plant that I can propagate into the other tank so I don't have to make two purchases. The Frogbit sounds like my best bet of the ones above, but I'm not sure.

gizmoaxolotl

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I cut my hornwort often to keep it short! Duckweed works and it spreads like crazy, I know you mentioned both of them but I don’t have any other ideas, I’m gonna follow this thread to get some ideas for myself! Haha

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My wisteria seems to have decided it was a floating plant and is now growing on the surface and seems to be doing good.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Salvinia is another option, however, check to see if your state allows you to legally keep certain floating plants.

OP
Drewbacca

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crispii said:
Salvinia is another option, however, check to see if your state allows you to legally keep certain floating plants.
I've heard Salvinia doesn't do well with a HOB filter.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Drewbacca said:
I've heard Salvinia doesn't do well with a HOB filter.
What do you mean "doesn't do well with a HOB filter?" I have some in a tank that has an HOB and it's still growing.

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jkkgron2 said:
My wisteria seems to have decided it was a floating plant and is now growing on the surface and seems to be doing good.
Some of mine decided it wanted to float... though the ones that wanted to float in my tank were the ones that ended up dying. Since then my rooted ones are starting to look better every couple of days.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ebreus said:
Some of mine decided it wanted to float... though the ones that wanted to float in my tank were the ones that ended up dying. Since then my rooted ones are starting to look better every couple of days.
Really? that’s interesting! For me my wisteria totally melted and some fell off, floated to the surface and started thriving and growing a Lot! I do have some rooted just like you but it’s slowly getting better over time and honestly the floating grew way way faster than the rooted. I wonder if maybe our waters different and the wisteria adapted??

OP
Drewbacca

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, it seems I’m down to Frogbit vs Salvinia. Any pros or cons between the two? Would the roots for Frogbit be too big for a 10 gallon shrimp tank? Is the Salvinia more hardy?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Drewbacca said:
So, it seems I’m down to Frogbit vs Salvinia. Any pros or cons between the two? Would the roots for Frogbit be too big for a 10 gallon shrimp tank? Is the Salvinia more hardy?
Both plants are easy to take care of.

Ebreus

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jkkgron2 said:
Really? that’s interesting! For me my wisteria totally melted and some fell off, floated to the surface and started thriving and growing a Lot! I do have some rooted just like you but it’s slowly getting better over time and honestly the floating grew way way faster than the rooted. I wonder if maybe our waters different and the wisteria adapted??
Possibly, I have nutrient rich soil like substrate so possibly the ones that stayed rooted for me got great benefit from that while the floaters just had my water which isn't of the best quality for nutrients.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh
Ebreus said:
Possibly, I have nutrient rich soil like substrate so possibly the ones that stayed rooted for me got great benefit from that while the floaters just had my water which isn't of the best quality for nutrients.
oh haha, for my tank it’s the opposite:)

OP
Drewbacca

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you think Frogbit would have too long of roots for the 10 gallon? Also, do you think my spray bar would mess up the roots in my 55 gallon (pic below)?

Image1580262937.721954.jpg

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Drewbacca said:
Do you think Frogbit would have too long of roots for the 10 gallon? Also, do you think my spray bar would mess up the roots in my 55 gallon (pic below)?

Image1580262937.721954.jpg
You can trI'm the roots if it gets long.

OP
Drewbacca

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Crispii said:
You can trI'm the roots if it gets long.
I suppose I could also point the outlet toward the rear of the tank and downward. I should still have decent water circulation due to my HOB on the left of the aquarium. Floating plants should still have some still surface water on the right of the tank.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My 2 hob’s always destroy any floating Plants I add! The current Is just too strong and they get swept under the water and die!

OP
Drewbacca

Drewbacca

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, I found a package of both Salvinia and Frogbit. I guess I can just try both of them and see which one or both I want to keep.

New Threads