Floating Mystery Question

1. PatientStars

PatientStars Member Member

Has anyone with mystery snails ever had one float for more than a day? I have a mystery snail going on a week of floating around the top of the tank. She is still very much alive, as she has managed to grab a decoration or air stone tube a few times to hang onto, but she spends most of her day just hanging half out of her shell being pushed around by the current.

I tried putting her in a small cup with some zucchini to let her eat and catch a break, which worked. But she is still quite buoyant.

Any tips on what to do? Should I take her out of the 50 altogether and keep her in a container with a lower water level? Should I assume this will eventually work itself out? Any advice is appreciated, I feel terrible just watching her float around.

2. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

How old is she?

I had this problem with my baby mystery. She would float for days and she ended up dying.

But sometimes they just like to float. Try putting her in a breeder box.

3. AquaBluMom

AquaBluMom Initiate Member

I’ve found my females like to float and bob under the filter, shortly before they lay their eggs. I’ve included thumbnails of one of my female bobbing under the filter. I thought at first, like you, that they were ill but it turned out they like the ride! Who know!

An aside...my Mysteries that have died I’ve usually found on the bottom of the tank. Not many as floaters.

Good luck and DEFINITELY set up an account! I haven’t posted in FOREVER but keep up on threads and learned SOOOOOOO much from all the other forum peeps that my tank of Mysteries, ADF, and community has really flourished!

In fact, flourished so much so, I currently have over 700 baby snails!! I’ve got at least four pairs of breeders and they’re laying clutches pretty much every other day!! LOL

The knowledge here and expertise is invaluable! Welcome in advance!

45D42A7F-2EA3-467F-AF80-CB2610FA32C0.jpeg 3FC8FF76-3130-4FDF-8587-3CC8B32BAE92.jpeg

4. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

She's only about 6 or 7 months. She has laid clutches before and never done this. However, about a month ago she managed to squeeze out of a small opening and fell behind the tank. She got wedged in the cords for the filter and heater, but I wonder if she somehow damaged her shell. She was fine for the past month though, and there were no noticeable cracks or problems with her shell after she fell.

Maybe this is a late symptom of some damage I couldn't see? I'll try the breeder box and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

I've actually been a member here for a while, which is why this is always the first place I go with a problem. I've also had snails for over a year now, and I feel really comfortable with diagnosing any issues they may come across, but this little girl is stumping me!

I currently have 5 that are of breeding age and lay clutches constantly, too. While I do let some of them hatch and grow, most end up as food for my pea puffers (sounds mean, but puffers need to eat, too!). I have a gold mystery in particular that loves to climb on top of the round air stone and "feel the breeze" in her antennas for a bit before letting go and launching herself to the top so she can go parasnailing! Haha

They're quite the characters! Hoping this is just a new quirk, and not an issue. Steele is my only blue, and I don't want to lose her.

6. AquaBluMom

AquaBluMom Initiate Member

Gotcha #PatientStars! For some reason, I thought somewhere in this thread I read comment about “creating an account.” My bad.

How is your Blue Mystery doing these days? Better, I hope.

7. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Well, I was keeping her in a breeder box so she wouldn't get knocked around, but she is still floating. She did crawl down the wall of the box several times to eat, but as soon as she lets go, she pops back up like a cork. Poor thing.

8. snailyfriends

snailyfriends Initiate Member

she could have air trapped in her shell too. i could imagine a fall pushing air into a place it shouldn't go, or even her taking in too much air while she was out. or maybe like they said above, she just found something she likes to do. unfortunately there isn't much you can do if it's trapped air, besides let her get it out on her own.

9. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Yeah, that's what I'm assuming. It's just weird that it happened two weeks after she fell, and she had been acting normally until she started floating. Who knows! For now I have her in a plastic breeder box with holes drilled in to allow for water flow. At least it makes it easier for her to get to food. She is constantly waving her little antennas around, so she seems ok.

She just has a very buoyant outlook on life! :woot:

10. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

When my mystery snails accidentally get pushed to the top because of the air stone, they usually take a minute or two to get rid of air bubbles in their shells. This is what your snail should be doing, yet it's having trouble. Sometimes if I take them out of the water, they'll go completely into their shell, getting rid of all the air inside. This may help.

11. OP
    OP
    PatientStars

Good idea, I haven't thought of taking her completely out of the water. I've had them all do this briefly and know it's normal, but she is going on a week and a half of floating at this point. So something is definitely up.