Floating Mystery Snails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowfaxTheBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just bought 2 black mystery snails for my 10 gallon tank. When I added them in after acclimation, they just floated. I thought it would pass and they would sink, but it's been a day now and they still haven't gone to the bottom or attached to the glass. I know that they're alive because I see them come out from time to time.

Is this normal? If not, how do I help them.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will do that from time to time. If they floated as soon as you put them in though, they may have air trapped in the shell. Turn them sideways and see if any air comes out.

AquaticSlugoo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
From what I can tell, the snail has a bubble of air in its shell. Try rotating it around and hopefully a bubble will come out. That happened to me when I got my snails too. Once it fixes make sure you feed em unless you have enough algae in the tank

ShadowfaxTheBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They will do that from time to time. If they floated as soon as you put them in though, they may have air trapped in the shell. Turn them sideways and see if any air comes out.
I tried that, but no air came out. What else can I do?

AquaticSlugoo

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just keep on spinning them around every possible way. Make sure they are under water when you do it and be patient. If that don't work then I don't know what to do. You could do research on your own with a quick google search of what your looking for.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My snails do that all the time. Eventually they will release some air and drift back down, but its completely normal and they can do it for days.

If they are still floating by the weekend, I would hold them underwater until they open up their shells then turn then upside down and gently swish them back and forth until they release their air bubbles.

Good luck!
20180516_153910.jpg

Pringlethesnail

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fyi snails can control the amount of air in their shells and never get air trapped. Just a myth! If they’re floating it’s because they want to. Your water is probably very different from the water they were in. Are the parameters good? Is it heated 75-78?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 57 64.8%

Top Bottom