Floating Crystals in Tank?

EMazurk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I was doing a water change today as part of my nitrogen cycle, and as I was siphoning the water out I noticed there were these almost plastic looking things floating around in the tank. It almost looked like plastic that would be wrapped around a pack of gum. When i put my hand in to grab it, it all broke apart into smaller crystal looking pieces. I have no idea what it could be but as I continued the process, I noticed more and more.

Does anyone know what that is? I have been using a dechlorinator and added ammonia to my tank to kick off the nitrogen cycle. No fish have been added and its been running with a filter and a heater for about 4 weeks now. I have searched and searched but cannot find anything on what this could be, I'm baffled. Thanks in advance!

hopeful fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you get a good picture?

EMazurk

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
photo.jpg

It's a bit difficult to see, but you can make out a white thing suspended in the water .That is just one of many that are floating around.

77Impala

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

badrad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If this is a new tank, check your decorations and possibly some of the trim (underside) of your tank. It's possible that there might have been loose bits, that after some time immersed in water, could work loose.

I had similar junk come out of a cheap ornament I bought at Petsmart, and it took a few weeks before it started to show up. It was inside the ornament, and must have been either some coating or plastic trim that crumbled after being in the water for a while.

Teishokue

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tank scum. will build up when there is not much surface agitation

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom